Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a television show should do a story on Joel, he is such an amazing example of the human spirit at a all time high. He and Christine are an inspiration and model of inner strength.

maybe the forums should have a press officer?

Arm weakness blows, typing is exhausting. Hang in there. ROM exercises help.

So, I've been mulling this over. This thread, in combination with the one Glen posted about difficulties he has swallowing.

It would seem I gave a conflicting opinion. (?) Did I?

I said to Glen, [paraphrasing] eat when you're rested, get the more complicated foods in earlier in the day, or after a nap, But yet, I, and others have noted being weakest upon first awakening in the morning.

Well, I don't think its actually conflicting, but it may lend credence to fluid intake helping the muscles to work better. And, drinking before eating something could help? I don't even know if that's the answer, if drinking is difficult. But, getting back to Glen (even though its Barry's thread, sorry Barry) maybe if Glen were to take in a little fluid via peg, while at rest, then eating following that would be more easily accomplished. Thinking of the peg intake as the appetizer course....

About arm weakness, I had a "first" yesterday. I was leaning on my left arm, don't remember what I was doing, I remember where I was, but not the task. (It is not relevant. ) I was using my right hand, supporting with left arm, and my elbow just went out from under me, like a "trick" knee. What's with that? It wasn't like I just was not balanced on it evenly, it already had weight on it, I was not giving it a thought, and it collapsed.

Diane, I have to say that you and I are currently in very similar straits. My knees became "trick knees" long before I used a wheelchair. My arms, like yours, are very undependable. And so are my fingers...

Regarding liquids, food, and strength, I have found that for myself, if I drink a glass of water as soon as possible, then after a bit drink coffee (down to one mug these days), and later eat breakfast, I have better strength. Breakfast, in other words, doesn't happen until a couple hours after I get up. I find that mid day is my strongest time, whether for eating or for doing anything... talking included. I'm most likely to choke at dinner, and if I'm more tired than normal, I'm still more prone to choking.

Naps for me don't bring me back to square one. Usually I sleep only a short time, although I may lie with closed eyes longer. I seem to be stronger quite soon following a nap.

Ann,

That is interesting about your knees. I was so surprised when it happened with my elbow, because it is not something I would equate with muscle weakness, in my mind it should be a "joint" thing. Perhaps it has something to do with the muscle being unable to sustain contraction?

Mornings I don't eat early either, its just coffee first, when I'm moving better, its on to feeding the animal menagerie, then more coffee and something to eat. Coffee is one beverage which frequently goes up and out my nose nowadays. :(

The way the symtoms of ALS very in intensity or when they manifest is one of the things that can be frustrating.
You never know what is going to show up next. My wife got her diagnosis last march, also bulbar, but she noticed hand and arm weakness a year before that. Dropping cups or not having the strength to pick it up and washing her hair was turning into an exausting exercise.
She figured oh well just part of getting older.
Until a month and a half ago she could still shufful about the house, scooter or chair for outings, then all of a sudden she started to just sort "freeze up" and as she put it "TIMBER"!
No warning, sense of fainting or blacking out. All her muscles just seemed to stop at once and she would drop like a tree. Five good falls and a really bad concusion later she has decided the mini fridge beside the bed was a better idea than making the kitchen run for her juice.

Ah, a concussion is something I managed to avoid. The "timber" falls are the pits, though. I was usually noticeably tired when they happened, at least in the beginning. Do they seem to happen in the early part of the day as a rule, or not necessarily? If only in the morning, please let me know... my mother had that problem and we worked it out. It's good to meet you, by the way, a a Johnson!

Diane, I found that I simply hadn't enough muscle around my knees to support them anymore. Do you still drink out of a mug or have you switched to plastic? (I hate drinking from plastic, but I think that's next.) And, we're speaking of snarfing...am I correct? Ouch, in any case. Also note: very good you can still feed the menagerie.

Karen's falling spells do not seem to have any relation to a time of day, her concusion was a nasty impact with the counter on th way down. She did not want to wake me so went to get her juice herself, it was the crash that woke me. I ran to find her on the floor in a rapidly spreading pool of blood.
I walk with her now and have caught her from a few more falls, she wants to use her legs while she can however shakely. I however have seen a conection between the falls and her circulation, her feet will be puffy and "purplish", she wont fall all the time but it seems to be more likely.
Ashley

Queenbee, I cannot believe you are up. Come talk to me if your not posting.I hope this is not bad behavior.

Ann,

We have some double walled, hence, insulated, glass mugs by Bodum. They're quite lightweight relative to their capacity. However, they're mouth-blown (read: more fragile) ~ no need to expound on that, right? So far I'm still good with them though, (watch, I'll break one now that I've said it!) and not having the added weight of a heavy mug really does make a difference. When you think about it, a common size for mugs is about 10-12 oz capacity, so, just filling the mug adds over a half a pound in weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back