Status
Not open for further replies.
just got my blood test results back today. All normal. I'm not sure if i'm happy about that in a weird way. I'm being referred to a Neurologist but i'll have a couple of months to wait at least.

OK buddy, listen

The odds of getting ALS is 1/100,000, which translates into a 0.001% chance. Now let's take into account your age (you're only 22). Only 5% of ALS diagnoses are prior to the age of 30 and the further away from 30 you get , the better your odds. That puts your chance of being diagnosed with ALS at the very least, 1/2,000,000, so now we're at a 0.00005% of you being diagnosed with ALS. Then let's couple that to the fact that you're only symptom so far is a little bit of twitching. Now can I sit here and tell you with certainty you don't have ALS or will never get it? Absolutely not, I cannot do that. However, I'm fairly confident you are going to be fine. Relax . . . enjoy life . . . go to your neuro and then accept what he/she says.

thanks for your reassurances Wright. I just have one more symptom i'm going to annoy you with.

I have been doing some basic neurological tests of strength on myself (i know i shouldn't bother) and a few weeks ago i noticed when testing finger abduction that the muscle between my middle and ring fingers on my right hand are a lot easier to push together than the same fingers on my other hand. They are the only pair that appear to be weak. When i pinch them together they tend to go together easier but then spring back. i know it seems trivial, but can this be a sign of ALS? I wish i didn't have such a wait to see a neuro.

You're going to drive yourself nuts. I really think you're fine. Do what young guys do and relax. Leave it to your neuro to do those tests on your, because they are simply too difficult to do on yourself. Leave it to the professionals. Again, I can't tell you that you absolutely don't have ALS, but I have a very good feeling that you don't. Now go relax. :-D

thanks again. Doing my best to relax. I'm sick to death of reading medical jargon on the net, but i can't seem to help myself. Everyone on this forum has been great though, so helpful and reassuring. i just have minor outbursts of anxiety now and again.

can someone please answer a couple of questions about atrophy?

1. Does it usually come before or after weakness?
2. Can you have atrophy without noticeable weakness?
3. On biceps, is a difference in circumference of 1 cm ,give or take, between right and left sides significant?

4. I have another strange symptom i was hoping someone can help me with. My left arm (i'm not 100% sure if it has always been like this) is much easier to tense if you know what i mean. On my right arm (dominant) i need to strain my hand to tense my entire arm, whereas on the left side i can achieve this much easier and can tense/relax/tense/relax continuously. I don't even know if this is a significant symptom but i thought i'd get some opinions. The left side is the smaller side.

I apologise for my constant questioning and apparent refusal to listen to reason (i really appreciate all the support and reassurances)

does anyone have an answer for the questions above. Sorry for being a pest.
Is everyone's dominant arm supposed to be bigger?

Yes, your dominant arm is usually bigger and stronger because you use it more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back