Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
I recently saw 3 different neurologists in the past 8 months and i keep getting mixed answers.

I have a feeling of weakness in my left arm that comes and goes.
I am right handed myself.

I had an EMG 2 months ago which tested both of my arms due to suspected carpal tunnel at the time i was experiencing tingling as well but no pain. However my results came back normal. Time went on and i started to feel more weakness but I have not experienced tingling for over a month now. I have a feeling of twitches in my arm as well. Two neurologists can not see any weakness in my arms when testing. One that I saw last week said he found weakness/muscle loss in my arm.
But i saw another neurologist today for another opinion and he said he sees no weakness or muscle wasting in my arm and sees no reason to perform an EMG as the last one was so little time ago and he cannot see any issue that he believes is ALS as my previous results were perfect it would be impossible to be ALS that progresses to the point of muscle loss as i still have full motor function of my arm and hand.

I noticed five days ago I have a single twitch on the back of my tongue but i can't feel it. Not constant but comes and goes. None of the neurologists have checked my tongue.
My speech is fine though.
And i feel like I am getting more and more twitches/spasms over my body like i keep feeling one on my back.

I'm not sure if these symptoms could be ALS as doctors keep giving me mixed answers. And my previous emg did not test my back or legs however i dont have any issue with either.

Louisselle, what is going to take? You've had two EMGs, three different neurologists...
none indicated ALS. Now you're coming up with new symptoms.

You must have fantastic insurance coverage.

It looks like you are almost neuro shopping for a diagnosis of ALS for some weird reason.

And... to get appointments with three different neurologists two EMGs (which can be
weeks apart) within just 8 months is unusual being many are waiting months just to get
an initial appointment, even a follow up and the EMGs. And the COVID 19 backup still is
a problem causing of delays for appointments. Masks are still required at all medical
facilities.

".And my previous emg did not test my back or legs however i dont have any
issue with either. Key words... " i don't have any issue with either." ??? So...

"But i saw another neurologist today for another opinion and he said he sees no
weakness or muscle wasting in my arm and sees no reason to perform an EMG
as the last one was solittle time ago and he cannot see any issue that he believes is ALS."

Big key words.... "sees no reason to perform an EMG as the last one was so little time
ago and he cannot see any issue that he believes is ALS."

Again... what is it going to take to let go of your concern (maybe want) of ALS?

"Apparently you are dealing with Health Anxiety. I hope some doctor can find the
path to you having a normal healthy and happy life.

Last edited:
Sorry if there was a misunderstanding I had one emg two months ago. I only met with neurologists due to other reasons across these 8 months but mentioned the issue each time.

And the only reason I ask here is because I have one doctor telling me I have it. And one doctor telling me I can't.

That is why I ask about my symptoms specifically.

It doesn't sound like ALS at all from what you report of your symptoms. They didn't test your legs or back because that's not where you reported symptons; you reported them in your arm.

You said that one doctor told you you had ALS; was that a written confirmation? What was his diagnosis based on, seeing as you don't have clinical symptoms and you've had a clean EMG.

What was this doc's suggestion off next steps and did he give you a prescription for Riluzole?

Ok, I went by what you posted...

"I recently saw 3 different neurologists in the past 8 months and i keep getting mixed answers.

"I had an EMG 2 months ago which tested both of my arms due to suspected carpal tunnel at the time i was experiencing tingling as well but no pain. However my results came back normal"
(However my results came normal)

Then...

"But i saw another neurologist today for another opinion and he said he sees no
weakness or muscle wasting in my arm and sees no reason to perform an EMG
as the last one was so little time ago and he cannot see any issue that he believes is ALS."

Maybe I missed it.... which one and maybe where was the one who told you...
"I have one doctor telling me I have it."

If you also might share what... " I only met with neurologists due to other reasons."

Again, I hope you find the path to a good and healthy life.

Just because a previous neuro said there was weakness (which can seemingly come and go even in healthy people depending on when you ate, how stressed you are, etc.) does not equal a concern for ALS at all. ALS is one of the rarest causes of weakness. That would be like saying, "I see you have a headache, so I guess you have brain cancer."

I agree there seems no reason for concern for ALS. Twitching and spasms do not raise concern for it when your function is still normal. "Feelings of weakness" are fortunately far removed from actual weakness, as your latest neuro has pointed out. I'd take that and run with it, toward a happy, healthy life. Swimming, walking, tai chi, barre and lots of other activities often take the edge off the twitching. If moving on proves difficult, you have the option of counseling as well, to get some objective feedback for all this. Helping others, and there are many these days that can use a hand, is another way to move outside your own head.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back