Not open for further replies.

mjpa22

Country
UK
State
uk
City
uk
Hi everyone, thanks for anyone who takes some time to answer my queries.

I am a 25 year old male and have been experiencing twitching since april last year.

The twitches started in my dominant arm,spread all over the place, and for the last few months are focused on my dominant side (arm and foot) with twitches elsewhere every now and again (neck, abdomen etc)

As I had been going through a stressful period of my life I initially put it down to this and tried to forget about it.

However the last few months I am experiencing aching pain on my dominant forearm and my wrist and thumb.

Things like squeezing a lemon, although I can do it, makes my thumb muscle hurt and makes me think it is weakening as well. I tried doing the tests for finger strength posted on the sticky on this website and although I can do them, doing them with my dominant hand makes my wrist and thumb hurt and I feel i dont have the same stamina with my dominant arm as with my non dominant one, which is weird. I am also under the impression that my dominant thumb muscle is less "meaty" than the other, which is worrying.

Also, waking up in the morning my arm and thumb feels painful and stiff, even when I try not to bend it or sleep on it.

On the one hand I do not want to be paranoid and start freaking out, and on the other I am starting to worry that this might be something more serious than I initially believed. So what I would like to know is if this sort of progression sounds typical and if forearm and thumb pain is something associated with ALS.

It does not sound like ALS. Your presentation does not fit, however, it may be a good idea to visit your local Dr for a check, If he is concerned then you can go and see a neurologist. Hundreds of things can cause these types of symptoms. Pain in a limb luckily points away from ALS and you are not presenting witrh weakness.

So you can relax about ALS, but plkease get the other things checked out to rule out any other treatable, disorders.
Aly

Hi Alyoop,

Another thing that I forgot to mention is that the elbow of the arm that is having most of the problems is quite sensitive. The funny bone area is much more sensitive in that arm than the other one.

Not an ALS symptom. Don't worry.

As Joel said not ALS, but check with the dr.
Cheers aly

As Aly and Joel stated it does not sound like ALS. If you truly have concerns that something is wrong the best thing you can do is go see a Doctor. Good luck and whatever you do make sure you do not start stressing out, anxiet exasperates symptoms. Good luck!

Go see a doctor and please believe him when he says you don't have ALS.

AL

Thanks for the comments everyone, I will be making an appointment with my GP for next week.

The last couple of days I find it more difficult to perform certain tasks with my thumb (eg stapling pieces of paper) compared with the other hand. Something I can do with one hand is harder with the other.

However, comparing the two thumbs when performing "harder" tasks such us lifting something heavy up with my thumb and fingers I am seemingly stronger with the "affected" limb. It is as if certain functions have been made harder, whereas others are fine...

I was just wondering whether Carpal Tunnel Syndrome could actually cause widespread fasciculations or whether they would be focused on the affected limb (which seems more logical).

Carpal tunnel will not cause widespread fasciculations.

Aly

The elbow tenderness and arm pain sound like tennis elbow.
doubt ALS is your problem. See yur MD for peace of mind and diagnosed.
blessings, Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back