Country
UK
State
UK
City
Leeds
Hi,

Hope you’re all well.

Thank you for anyone who takes the time to read this and provide any feedback. I am hoping someone can put my mind at rest so that I can leave the forum and move on with my life.

About 4/5 weeks ago I developed a pins and needles sensation in my right arm. from hand all the way up to my shoulder. This lasted a couple of weeks and since Then I have had intermittent 'tingling' which has got less and less frequent. Felt more like a crawling sensation at times. It has now stopped.

I called my GP for a telephone appointment who was unconcerned and put it down probably exercising and maybe something like carpel tunnel or pinched nerve.

The tingling has now stopped. The past few days however my arm has felt weak. My movement or grip is not affected, but I have a constant sensation. This has started to ache and feel weak in the forearm, hand and bicep. Almost like a strained muscle but I haven’t done anything. My hand, little & ring fingers feel stiff. It feels like they’re weakening if that makes sense and I feel like they’re going to eventually lose strength and stop working.

My shoulder is also aching and feels uncomfortable when I raise my arm and clicks occasionally.

my bicep feels protruding, like I have tensed it but I haven’t, this is at rest.

at the weekend I was out at a restaurant with my partner, didn’t see a step and tripped and fell flat on my face. Whilst embarrassing I wasn’t hurt, but then the voice in my head is saying ‘falling is a symptom too!’

since then my asthma has been playing up and I’ve had constant ‘globus’ like something is stuck in my throat and I cannot swallow.

After googling my symptoms like an idiot they have led me to MND and now I have convinced myself I have it and it is consuming my thoughts. Rather than google, I wanted to ask people who actually have the disease whether my symptoms are in any way ‘typical’

I called my GP again today as a follow up and to discuss change in symptoms. I specifically mentioned MND and she said she wasn't concerned after what I had described. She advised to keep an eye on symptoms and if it has not subsided within 2-3 weeks to call back and she will refer me for nerve conduction testing.

I know you aren't able to offer any medical advice or fully relieve my worries. But I just wondered whether you would be worried about my symptoms, or if they are typically present with onset of MND.

I am respectful of every one on here actually suffering from this horrible disease and do not mean any disrespect if my symptoms suggest not ALS. I will not be using the forum to fuel any anxiety.

I appreciate the time you have hopefully taken to read my message and look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Worried

Hi,

My worry is consuming my life at the moment.

Could anyone please advise whether they think I can confidently let this go, or should pursue a referral to neurology based on symptoms.

Do my symptoms sound like ALS?

Thanks

No, they don't. Don't spend another minute worrying about that one.

I would imagine your GP could refer you for online physio or to an orthopedist. It sounds like a localized problem. Sometimes shoulders get tight.

As the seasons shift, allergies and humidity changes can exacerbate asthma and change how swallowing feels.

As for missing a step, who hasn't? If your sleep is being compromised by untreated allergies or an exacerbation of your asthma (you should check with whoever treats it if it continues), a missed step is all the more likely. Or conversely, lack of sleep can exacerbate asthma. You can record your sleep and see how ragged it sounds.

Treat the problems in front of you. Don't chase what's not.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back