wewillbeatthis

Distinguished member
Hello everyone,

Please advise cause I am so confused.

Dad one day is :D
Another :evil:
Another day :roll:
Another Day :(

I have to say that most days he is happy but still not the way he used to be. I would like to know that being that this disease is different in everyone. Those that have trouble walking and have gait issues are there days that you or your loved one that is suffering is walking with that penguin gate, another day that he is walking much better, and then another day when he is so stiff that he will not even get out of the car? I ask cause this is the case with my dad...

For example dad went to the store he got a handicapp space, a carriage and walked in and shopped. Then later on or the next day he can't find a handicapp spot but has a carriage but decides it is too far and his leg is to stiff... Does this happen?

It has been about 2 years since the gait problem began...

first couple of months he had a limp then by the end of the first year he was way off balence and was walking bad without a cane... Now for about a year he has been using a cane... However, the last nine months he must have a cane he can't get around without it unless he has a carriage or something....

The only other symptons we notice come on when he is either really nervous or very tired, or yes when it is very cold outside...

He will slur a bit, He will be very irritible, he will walk really bad, he will look tired, and sigh a great deal.....

No other symptons... Would this be considered slow moving?

Does anyone else have similer symptons as this?

I get the penguin walk as you call it. On days that I'm tired either from not enough sleep or doing too much I get the "walk". As for the bitchies I think most of us get them on any given day. We might have always been this way but with the disease people I think take more notice. If it continues for an extended time it might be time to get some happy pills. I know others will scream no medications! but you have to do what is right for you at the time.

yes each day can be different, even on the same day. i know if i walk too much then later in the day i cannot even get up from my chair, my legs just refuse to work. we all have good and bad moods,we tell ourselves things are fine (feelings inside not expressed) and then its a complete turn around. so take each day one at a time. how are your dad's other limbs, like his arms. with me my arms were affected first the leg problems started this summer, cannot do stairs, but able to walk about a block, then my energy is gone the rest of the day, my husband keeps telling me to use the wheelchair, but i'm too stubborn, so my own fault i'm tired out.
marianne :)

Thanks for the responses.

My dad's other limbs are GREAT!

It is just the bottom of his feet he has no feeling really so therefore his walk is worse cause he can't feel what he is walking on. He can't get his foot all the way down so his walk is just way off, and his leg and hip get stiff....

The only other things we notice and it is there one week and then back to normal the next is his speech will be slow, and or a little slurred. Some days he says he is not tired but he looks tired and then the next he is fine. The last thing would be that on some days he will sye every once and awhile and this takes us all for a surprise cause he never did this in fact if one of us did it he would get annoyed and still does say go do something you like to do if we are boaring you :wink:

We are so thankful that if he must have this disease that it remains in this same stage that it has been in for over a year. It is with all of our hopes that it remains this way for many, many years....

Knowing it will remain very slow moving, knowing that the drug or process to stop progression is on it's way, and praying for the drug to cure is coming soon for all.

Love Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back