00/0000
Country
UK
State
UK
City
Manchester
Hi Everyone,

Firstly a massive thank you to everyone who takes the time and effort to read through these posts and offer either reassurance or advice on how to proceed. You are all amazing and I can only guess how tiring it can be to read posts from people convinced they have this horrible illness when they haven't.

I have read the stickies, but if possible would still like some clarification.

I am a 31 year old male from the UK, relatively healthy (hopefully) with a none physical, office related job.

My symptoms began over a month ago when I started getting pins and needles and tingling all over my right arm. Mostly hands but from there all the way up to the shoulder. I was/am totally unconcerned about those symptoms in relation to ALS, especially so after reading the stickies and posts on here.

The pins and needles have now stopped and have been replaced by other symptoms. Firstly my arm and hand feels weak, my fingers feel stiff and achey especially my 2 little ones. I have an aching pain in my thumb, hand, forearm when I grip, bicep and shoulder. My bicep is almost constantly feeling tense. My shoulder aches when I raise above my head and my bicep aches when I am shaving or brushing my teeth. My bicep feels shaky at rest after performing such tasks. My arm feels fatigued.

A couple of times this week when I have moved my arm I have got the pain you get when you hit your funny bone, and it has lasted a minute or 2.

I have been continuously checking my strength, grip and fastening and unfastening my buttons, locking and unlocking doors etc.

I called my GP for a telephone appointment due to Covid. She wasn't concerned and said although my symptoms didn't lead her to any specific condition, she would say muscle strain, repetitive strain or carpel tunnel/ulnar nerve. I am unsure how I could have injured my arm without realising or with any specific injury. I mentioned ALS and my GP almost laughed and dismissed my concerns.

I am concerned because I have seen a lot of posts where people we're misdiagnosed with carpal tunnel and pinched nerve. I have also read that Carpal tunnel can affect grip, so now terrified that if it was that and my grip became affected it would convince me/feed my worries more.

Like an idiot I have been googling my symptoms, first that came up was MS due to pins and needles and then the dreaded ALS. Since seeing it, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. It consumes my thoughts and is affecting my day to day life and sleep.

I would like to ask if anyone had any similar symptoms at onset, if anyone can pick out anything I have said that would suggest ALS or want them to investigate further with medical professionals.

Sorry for the long post and for taking up your time with my concerns.

Any honest feedback is greatly appreciated.

Would very much like, like most I'm sure to be deleting this forum and moving on with my life without this worry.

Thank you

Please read this if you have not already done so

ALS/MND affects the motor neurons, the nerves that control movement. This has nothing to do with the pins and needles sensation which would be due to sensory nerves. Feeling weak is not the same as clinical weakness noted by a physician.

So no reason to be worried about ALS.

Thank you so much for your response, I appreciate it.

i will try to move my thoughts away from ALS. This illness has terrified me since I googled my symptoms and it came up.

I will also maybe speak to my GP to discuss health anxiety. Even though I am now sure it is unlikely ALS, I can’t stop wondering ‘what if’

again thanks for taking the time to respond to me.

Thread closed- multi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back