Are EMGs painful

Status
Not open for further replies.
My EMG was on one side of my body. There are some places that might be a little more uncomfortable than others, but the worst I felt was a bit of a cramping feeling in my leg. They iced down my hand before they did tested it, and I think the intense cold was more uncomfortable than the test itself.

Robert

Thank you all for responding! I appreciate all of your responses.

I have not yet decided if I will volunteer for the EMG. I guess I first have to find out if I am even randomized into the research study. I really do want to help, but to be honest I have some concerns and the EMG is my biggest.

One of the thing my family has done is really try to keep track of the symptoms, progression, basically anything that more than one family member has experienced so that we are all well informed. This particular familial ALS is the most aggressive form that there is according to the university doing the study (which is really what all of us in our family believed anyway). Since all of my family members had the EMG months before dying I still have a feeling that it may have to do with the extremely fragile state the muscles were in. I guess one of the reason why I have asked is because if it is not that painful if you are healthy then maybe there is nothing for me to fear right now as I have not been diagnosed and have not exhibited any of the normal symptoms that prelude the onset of this disease.

Thanks again for your responses, and if anyone else comes alone that would like to share I am still interested in everyone's thought. As I said one thing we do in our family is try to collect information on this entire disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back