Are all women like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a bit off topic but as someone who cant talk it REALLY burns me up when the topic of a conversation changes before I get a chance to say what I am typing. Most of the time I just give up and hit the delete key but sometimes I say what I was going to say and to hell with anyone else. If they are confused it is not my problem, they can just rewind their minds cause I am not going to be left behind and I have a log of what I am saying and they don't.

Sorry just my rant of the day, I am getting more and more jealous of those that can talk.

Barry,

A thought for you , to get your words in. "WAIT, I have something to say"

I am trying to figure out what custom sayings I need to program.

Glen

Barry,

I've heard of others who have a whistle or other alert sound programmed, and they will hit that button to let others know that they're moving on too fast.

foghorn6.wav
Thanks Glen and Rose. I have saved this to my hard drive and I can play it whenever anyone moves on. Sorry the link won't go here is the address
http://www.sanpedro.com/sounds/foghorn6.wav

foghorn6.wav

Last edited:
Barry-

Here's what the teachers did when my kids were in preschool: (this was when the whole class was in a group, sharing ideas, talking about stories, etc.)

There was an object (the class chose it- I think one was a stuffed animal-dog?)
Only the person holding the stuffed animal could speak. No one else could talk; they had to listen. If someone wanted to say something they had to raise their hand and the stuffed animal was passed to them. Then, and only then, could they have their turn at talking (aka sharing). But, the person holding the stuffed animal could not "hog" the object, and therefore talk endlessly. That is where the referee (teacher) came in.

The kids learned to listen to others, take turns talking & sharing, and not to monopolize the conversation!

Maybe you need a stuffed animal (and a teacher) LOL

p.s. are we hijacking Joel's thread? Sorry, Joel!

Don't worry about hijacking this thread as this is pertinent.

That is a great idea. But what happens when someone can't raise their hand or hold the stuffed animal - or talk? What happens then? LOL.

Great idea mare! I cant hold anything while I'm talking so I would have to give it to my wife to hold for me. Oh Wait, that would make it worse, not better!

Here is the stuffed toy I want

Attachments

• Oscar.jpg
    Oscar.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 202
Sorry you are having a crappy time with the conversations Barry. Couldn't get the link to work. Love the stuffed toy, maybe Santa will bring it for Christmas!lol

You guys are ganging up on me! LOL And, taking it too literally! It was meant more for the other people in your group conversation- for them to wait and give you your "turn".

Now you see you must be nice to your wife if you want to "talk".
I'll not elaborate more!

Joel & Barry, if your wives read this thread I'd now pass the "stuffed animal"!

p.s.-Barry, love Oscar, but are you trying to tell us something?!?

Joel ... with all due respect, dear moderator, considering what a CALS goes through ... mashing and blending and feeding us and washing us and wiping our noses and our drool and our butts and hoisting and dressing us and laundering ... all to keep us cranky old PALS alive and whining, I'd stop for a minute and count your blessings.

Time to up your EL meds? :lol:

(I'll swap you my paid caregivers for your free one any day of the week! She's a gem.)

Barry,

This is guaranteed to stop a conversation.

Attachments

• 3whiphug.zip
    44.3 KB · Views: 189
You are absolutely right Beth, I don't mean to come acrossed as unappreciative. I have said many times how much I love her.

It would be a lot easier on her, as well as me, if she could get past multiple questions I can't answer. It would save her frustration as well.

it actually really annoys me when i ask someone (my PALS) if I can get something for her and she says that she's fine. i have to absolutely insist that she takes a cup of tea, or has another biscuit or give me a detailed description of what she wants done in the house/cooked for dinner, etc. etc. etc.

i think you've got it right though, it must be a woman thing -- these maternal, nuturing tendencies are apparently biological. being a woman also (obviously) mum is really careful not to offend me, so often she feels compelled to make a decision about something she doesn't really want, or couldn't care less about.

sometimes i manage to read her mind though, so that's the less frustrating side to female intuition.

Hey gang, Ratman here, the sporadic poster. Regarding caretakers/wives who appear to "badger" with multiple choices. My mother and her mother have always done that, and yes, it is part of the mothering response to show their love. "Honey, don't you want some pie? (no) How about if I warm it up? (no, thanks) I could put some ice cream on it? (no, I'm fine) How about vanilla? (O.K. I'll take some) Good, do want some coffee with it?"

Now you are bordering on insanity until you realize that this is likely her only way to hug, soothe and nurture you. It's called the "Jewish Mother" syndrome, but it certainly applies to all religions and cultures. I realize we already know this. You guys rock! You always lift my spirits.

Happy Channukah from Ohio to all my new friends!

JK

What a enlightening thread! Honestly, when I read the first post, I thought that Joel was just being funny. I have spent some time thinking about all of it. I do think that it is something unique to individuals that are caregivers and not necessarily gender dependent. It is a learned nurturing behavior. Although I am of Norwegian ancesty and Lutheran, [that is unless my Church decides to leave ELCA because they are upset with the new ruling to allow Gay people to be Pastors. Then I will need to find another Church that supports that decision!] I am truly a Jewish Mother! lol I know that I am at times, guilty as accused. It is out of concern and love. Usually, I offer once and if I get a NO, I just move on and remind him or Matthew that I did offer-end of discussion. The ONLY TIME I really hound them is if they are ill and I know that they need more fluid, rest or medication. I am now going to really concentrate of only asking one question and doing it only once and wait for a reply! Happy Channukah- "Festival of Lights" to you JK :]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back