Baseball_buyer

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. I’ve been lurking for about 6 months, but now would like some feedback on my increasing symptoms. I am a male in my early 40s. I am right hand and leg dominant.

Dec 2019 - sore left shoulder and collarbone area. Some swelling below the left collarbone. Random rib week long localized rib pain also occurs. Was sent for x-rays on both and blood work for autoimmune disorders. Nothing was found, but I still have these mystery chronic pains today.

Jan and Feb 2020 - 2 months long swallowing difficulties and some left side facial numbness. Endoscopy suggested esopoghitis. Dexolant prescription.

March 2020 - Left elbow and shoulder pain and tenderness. Ultrasound found tendonitis in shoulder. Also showed I had a separated shoulder at some point, but I don’t ever remember this happening.

June 2020 - started physio/chiro/massage/acupuncture to treat the collarbone bone pain. Physio believes it may be TOS as it sometimes also causes dry cough and stiff neck and pec muscles.

Nov 2020 - Chest X-ray and shoulder ultrasound find nothing of note other than area below left clavicle is larger than right side.

Dec 2020 - shoulder and clavicle mris. Some minor cysts found in left shoulder. Referred to upper limb clinic (still waiting appointment).

Dec 2020 - tip and base of left thumb begin to go numb. 4th and 5th fingers occasionally falling asleep. Left pinky increasingly becoming more numb. Given ulnar nerve exercises at physio.

Jan 2021 - Dr. noted left thumb wasting. Ordered EMG (4 month wait). Believes it is related to the ulnar nerve. Possibly from TOS if it is TOS. Increased mild left hand clumsiness. Typing and texting make it worse. Some left eyelid twitching.

Feb 2021 - Left big toe numbness. Frequent twitching in left foot arch causing the big toe to move. Some cramping between heel and ball of foot. Dr. noted hight left foot arch and wasting in left foot arch and calf muscle. Neurologist referral.

Now I am at a standstill until the Upper Limb Clinic appointment and EMG 3.5 months from now. My stress and anxiety have continually increased over this time. The noted thumb, foot, and calf atrophy have made this 10x worse over the last 6 weeks.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this. I look forward to your thoughts and would also appreciate any next steps I could possibly take.

If the TOS notion doesn't pan out, and the EMG is negative, I would ask about a referral to a medical geneticist to rule out connective tissue disorders. But the good news is, I don't think you have ALS. The different issues that you've described over more than a year don't fit into that at all.

Eyelid twitching frequently responds to more hydration and sleep, and less stress (I know).

Best,
Laurie

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for your response. I too agree that the first part doesn’t sound like ALS. However,
The symptoms of the last 4 months, especially the wasting/atrophy in more than 1 location (both upper and lower), the twitching, and the noted clumsiness and weaknesses (ie. left pincher grip) have me less than optimistic. I’m also not really sure how long the wasting had existed prior to it being noted in my hand in January and my legs/feet had never given my any problems (or reason to compare) until the recent pain and twitching. However, once compared and measured, it is quite noticeable and confirmed by my doctor and chiropractor.

Does anybody have any other possible theories on multiple one-sided body wasting? TOS certainly doesn’t explain the current lower body locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back