Status
Not open for further replies.
Violet,

I can understand why you might start to think your doctor is blowing you off. I thought his conclusion that your twitches were benign without the benefit of an EMG was a little odd....or is it just me?

Now if he thought it might be a virus (seems logical, I've learned enough here and elsewhere to know that something like that can bring these symptoms on) why would you think spinal tap? Is that because if something like this was virus related it would be in the spinal fluid? I didn't know that...

Are you getting any other blood work done? After my first exam, I had EVERY test on the blood work sheet.

I think you should take some comfort in the unremarkable exam, as easy as that is for me to say! March 4th will be here before you know it.

Lydia

I had the same question, can a Dr. conclude that twitches are benign just by asking you questions about them, but not actually observing them first-hand or having an EMG result?

The twitches that you describe would lead any neuro to think that they are benign. Of course to know with 99.9% certainty an EMG would be needed but I think you can take solace in his assessment. Good luck with your appointment on the 4th.

P.S. A spinal tap is not going to show a viral problem, unless the virus has invaded the central nervous system (e.g. viral meningitis). Your neuro is referring to a peripheral virus that is wreaking havoc with your peripheral nerves . . . if indeed that is what is happening to you.

I certainly don't want to start the whole twitching discussion that appears here in regular cycles...but I thought that it didn't matter so much how they present (isolated spots vs widespread, soft vs pronounced, intermittent vs continuous, etc...) but the "company they keep" that determines whether or not they are something to be worried about. And that the "company" will be identified during exam and EMG. Wright can you elaborate on your comment about the twitching that she described as being suggestive of BFS? What was it about her description that suggests that? Just curious....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back