Diagnosis
02/2022
Country
US
State
MS
City
Amory
I'm currently on riluzole, radicava and relyvrio. However I don't have an appetite. I eat because I know I must and try to supplement with protein shakes. Any suggestions on how to boost my appetite?

I think that scent plays a strong role in appetite. So making your fav foods and smelling them while you eat may help.

These scents are believed to increase appetite
Citrus.
Cardamom.
Bergamot.
Ginger.
Caraway.
Roman chamomile.
Spearmint.
Peppermint.

You may be able to use essential oils to help with this. Some say. lavender oil and its active component, linalool, affects the autonomic nerves and increases appetite.

You could also ask your doctor about an appetite stimulant. I admire you for trying to help your situation by eating more.

I'm also having trouble working up enthusiasm to eat. One thing that helps me mentally is eating things from when I was growing up. For example, I make smoothies with Carnation Instant Breakfast (with tofu, avocado and fruit added) because the taste reminds me of being a teenager.

Hydration plays a role in appetite as well.

If you are looking to increase calories there is a supplement called Benacalorie. It is 1.5 oz liquid you can mix with most foods or drinks. 350 calories. It is tasteless. I ordered some on Amazon for my brother who has lost a considerable amount of weight. He is on tube feedings but is still able to eat.

I am currently on riluzole, radicava and will soon start on relyvrio. Strangely my appetite has increased since diagnoses last July. Even though my muscle degradation (particularly arms) is plain to see, my weight over the last six months remains steady. It sure highlights how this disease impacts us all so differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back