Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
ny
City
tarrytown
I apologized in advance because I know this has been asked many times.
I have read and re- read all that I possible can to try to figure it out, but I come to you for opinions before I worry myself to death.

Muscle twitching bilateral quads on and off since August...47 year old woman.

Hurt my knees in October, no exercising, no twitching that I can remember.
Started working out again ( training for a triathlon) in January... Started running , walking, swimming, and biking,

Since then I have noticed frequent, meaning a few time a week twitching, mostly inner knee ( the one I have most pain with ). Or the quad of that side, the calf, inner thigh...does go at times to the other quad, but mostly stays on the left side but moves from knee one day to quad, inner thigh etc...feeling tingling at times too.
A few times a month, a twitch on a shoulder , or my back.

I notice it at rest, especially if I'm on my feet all day, and always feel them as soon as I am done running or biking.
I don't feel it very much after swimming...

I realize it is and can be because of exercising, however, I have run marathons, and done triathlons in the past and it never happened before...

No weakness, from what I read here...but definitely the heavy fatigue feeling, the normal after workout heavy fatigue feeling in my legs.
No issues from what I can tell with upper weakness, lower weakness...nothing like that...

Seem tingling in my feet once in a while, but again, only because I am super sensitive to everything now that I googled muscle twitching. ( I know that was probably not a very good idea)

I have an appointment with my orthopedist ( it was a follow up from January) was going to cancel it because my knees, while still some pain, feel much better...but I'm thinking I'm going to keep the appointment and discuss this with him.

Any thoughts?

And Again, please forgive me for the the repeat questions...

Thank you again and thank you for having such a wonderful support system.

I agree you should keep the dr appt. If he/she sees a problem the dr will refer you to a neuro. In the mean time try not to worry. I bet there is a nerve or something pinched or agravated. Think positive. I have read that pain and sensory problems are not an early sign of als. Good luck. I wish you peace.

HI

The good news is that nothing in your post sounds a bit like ALS.

Muscle fatigue and muscle weakness are not the same. ALS causes muscle weakness--a literal inability to do something you could do before.

Pain is also NOT a presenting symptom with ALS, nor is tingling.

At 47, it's just entirely possible your body is telling you to slow down. Certainly keep your appt with the doc. You may have torn something in your knees or be developing arthritis--all kinds of benign non-life-threatening issues can happen with knees!

Good luck to you.

Thank you both for you thoughts and responses...

I will keep the appointment with the orthopedic, and until then, lay off the exercising, and the Internet searching...

Will update you on Monday...

Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back