Reason
Other
Country
US
State
CA
City
Vista
Hi everyone...I am having an EMG next month. In the beginning of February, I had an unexplained fall while walking to my son's school. Since then, I have not had any more falls, nor have I noticed any weakness. Last night, however, I woke up with a horrible burning pain in my right heel. It has yet to subside. I know this can be a symptom of plantar fascitis, but my heel hurts the most when I am not standing on my feet, which would be the opposite of plantar fascitis. I have had muscle twitches for years, so I am not to worried about those, however the heel pain has me quite concerned. I was looking through some threads on here and saw quite a few that mentioned heel pain. Would anyone be able to tell me if heel pain should be a concerning symptom? Is this something that is common, and if so, does it tend to present early on in the course of the disease? Thank you so much in advance for taking the time to read this.

Past posts:
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-i-have-als-als/40591-worried-pain.html
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-i-have-als-als/40980-worried-about-weakness.html

I would dispute plantar fascitis only being with direct pressure! I had it for a while when I was a teenager due to muscle imbalance and over training in the sport I played. It was excruciating enough to wake me up from sleep- when I was definitely not on my feet. I'd visit a physiotherapist for assessment to see if this or something else is causing your heel pain and to get some exercises to allay the pain and ask your doctor for recommendations for when the pain affects your daily function.

Your emg is soon and will hopefully reinforce what folks have told you here in the past- that your symptoms and concerns are not ALS related.

Best wishes

I have no idea how many times in my diagnostic i was asked about pain. I had none. This was not considered a good thing. CLINICAL weakness with pain points away from ALS. Clinical weakness without pain means only motor neurons are involved. With pain there is usually some sensory neuron component to the nerve damage. THe weakness in ALS is pain free and sensation free. I feel normal, but I have muscles that will not perform under load. And some muscles just do not work, THink of it as becoming paralysed over a long period of time as opposed to diving into the kiddie pool. You really don't want this.
Vincent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back