Anyone willingly to help a screenwriter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonja123

Reason
PALS
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Vancouver
Hi! My name is sonja bennett and I am a vancouver based actress. I am currently writing a script about a relationship between a man with ALS and a woman that is hired to drive across Canada. I would love to chat with some one living with ALS. It would be really helpful to me. Is there anyone out there that can answer some questions for me? If you want to know more about me I have a website at www.sonjabennett.ca
Please add to this thread if you are interested......You'll get a film credit!
Looking forward to your response,
Sonja Bennett

Hello Sonja

My husband has survived ALs for 8 years we may know alot about the disease in all aspects, emotion, fear, stress, laughter about death, hope, etc. the stress on the ALS patient, caregiver, family.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like a few film credits to add to my resume as well. I can be reached with a personal message here or at [email protected] . I've been diagnosed since Oct. 03.
Al

Don't know what I can add but I'd be happy to communicate with you, send me a pm through this site if interested in reaching me.

Has anyone heard back from Sonja?

Yes I have. We have a call set up fot Thursday.

Sonja and I have exchanged emails. I hope her project is going well.

Dave and Al just want to see their names in the credits. They'll be right next to "key grip".

Be sure to tell Sonja about the drooling - I think I good drool sequence could be used for poetic effect...

...and having to ask others to pick your nose for you - a good nose picking scene could be a real bonding moment for the two characters in the film...

Thanks guys I'll be sure to mention that when she calls. A film credit is good on a resume in case you want to look for a job.

Ok the nose pick is in for sure and the drooling. My wife Lee and I spent an hour chatting with Sonja and she is a lovely lady to talk to as well as being quite attractive (see her website) and no I'm not advertising. We talked about the day to day things affecting us and she said we were telling her the kind of stuff you just don't find in the manuals. Hope the screenplay comes out soon enough for us all to see the movie.

Sonja if you are reading this could you email me at [email protected] I have a question for you and want to tell you about an NFB film that is available about ALS. Thanks. Al.

Why in the world would anyone who has no knowledge of ALS take or want to take on the challenge of doing a script and soliciting information from patients for it.

Is it a new trend or something.

She can wait for Ben Byers documentery or see the Heywood brothers one.

But not knowing or understanding ALS is one thing but to write as if you do is another.

This I got to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
In defense of Sonja I will post part of an email she sent me. As for my idea.......I don't know. I
wanted to bring two very different people together. One that only used their
body and not their mind and the other that only used their mind and not
their body......and then it just evolved....into someone that couldn't use
their body....I'll let you know if anything happens with it
So that is where her idea came from. She doesn't know if it will work but is willing to run it up the flag pole and see if anyone salutes. Pardon my ignorance but I know nothing about Ben Byers or the Heywood brothers but I'm not dumping on their idea until I see their work. There were mixed reviews of James Woods on ER playing an ALS patient. He did interviews with a half dozen people with ALS to get a feel as they say for the part. Where did the writers come up with that script? I'm sure none of them has ALS. It brought a lot of public and media attention to ALS.
We need attention focused on us for money and a cure. I don't think we are a trend I just think we are now coming out of the dark ages and possibly into the limelight.
Personally I'll take all the help I can get and they don't have to have the disease either.

The question is rather why wouldn't a person, who has limited knowledge of ALS consult with those who live it every day? Sonja appears to be reaching out to PALS and CALS for input to her project... and I believe have much to offer. Maybe she's not doing this for all of he altruistic reasons that we, as participants here would hope, but, as Al indicated... anything that raises the profile of ALS as an affliction is a positive step and I believe supported!

T.

I have exchanged several emails with Sonja. FWIW she seems sincerely interested in portraying a character with ALS correctly. Why this would lead to criticism I do not understand.

Also, since the James Woods ALS episode was mentioned, I recently met with someone from the Los Angeles Chapter of ALSA. The subject of the episode came up and she told me that Woods and the ER folks consulted closely with the ALSA and he did indeed speak to patients at various stages. Personally, the show aired the week of my EMG when I was told I probably had ALS and I found it both enlightening and terrifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back