Anyone willingly to help a screenwriter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not criticism as there is no product to critique. What I am saying is just this.

I would like to see a movie etc of someone who is a full fledged human being who has wit and intellegience that radiates from him and his disease. Not in spite of his disease but irregardless of it.

I know the one that is going around now in the US is about one person and his disease and his efforts to find a cure. But this is not in any way the story of anyone I know who has had Als. Many so called treatments have been used by this person and they have failed and cost a lot of money for the people and families who are suffering by his relating the supposed benefits he thought he would receive. Yet all know now it was a false promise and yet still support him because he brings publicity to the cause for the Cure.

To some he is a hero and to some he is a charlatan but a good charlatan because he has ALS.

To the general public he is not a hero. Just a patient of another disease that needs to be looked at.

The other one is in a different bracket of his life experience in that he and his whole family are involved in finding the Cure for him and all others as well. No selling of any products involved in this one.

What is the public to think about all of these so called revelations that are being produced by the varying medias.

Do you really in your heart think another one is in our best interests. I don't unless it is different and carries a message that is really not a message that is as decernable as those of late have been.

All that you could ever want to know about Als is out there to see and read. Do you really need to have personal contact for that information? So what is the purpose of it. As you know all of us are distinct and individual with as many problems that are unique to us as are to any other living human being.

So what I mean is tell the story of You or YOu or YOu or anyone who has had some kind of experience that makes you interesting and appealling to the general public.

Get the story told that relates to the everyday man and his teen children. That is where our help will come from.

Find a handicapped HERO.

There was one in a movie about a man in his wheelchair witnessing a murder from his window, I think it was called Rear Window or something like that.

But it sold and made Millions of dollars and that is where the Cure lies. MONEY

I think you all may find me negative on this but there has been a lot of publicity lately in the Parkinsons area that has me irritated as well.

MJF and ALI had a Katey Couric special lately and the clips of MJF were from old interviews he had done in the past all put together for the most they could get from them once again. But to me it leaves a sense of the ends serving the means.

Do we really need to go that route. I think of a man who is in a wheelchair and has been vented for years being set up by a fully capable man to start an arguement with him and using subterfuge and dishonesty to have him barred from his main area of communication. This man too is ill BUT and this is a big BUT still had and still has no sympathy for this man and his life with ALs.

To me that is life. Not as I want to live it but as some do and are. When there is no sympathy from one who suffers like you how are you going to get results from a well human being who can not respond to your predictament.

If you can't appeal to them then you formulate that which they find appealing.

Give them a HERO who is or becomes handicapped. Not in a moment like superman but in a few years like lt really happens.

Mentally.......emothionally.........physically.........and most of all intellectualy..........then and only then can we tell the true story of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis.

Gee I hope I made this clear this time because if I go back I will in all probability erase it.

Thank you for reading

Thelma

Thanks for your input Thelma. On the same note we have a lot of new members and if you want to see a realistic portrayal of ALS, the National Film Board of Canada put out a documentary in their Bearing Witness series about Robert Colley Donahue an ALS patient. The NFB film crew followed him around for three years and were with him until he went into continued care 9 months before he passed away. It is a very moving story. The DVD is about $20 Canadian and is available from the NFB website. Have a good day. Al.

So Much So Fast: ALS/MND Documentary and Drama

My sister sent me this information about a docu-drama being showcased at the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum).

For those close to Toronto you may wish to visit the public screening; I'm not sure about the availability of the DVD or VHS, if such exists.

The viewing is May 2nd and May 5th; the cost of tickets is $10. More information is available in the attached PDF.

This seems related to this thread so I've included it here - if there's any interest or replies I will split this over to its own thread.

The docu-drama is titled "So Much So Fast" and may be an interesting viewing; I hadn't planned on going to see it, but if anyone here wants to know more about it please let me know and I will make a point of buying a ticket and going to the screening.

Here is a synopsis of the film:

"What would you do if you were 29 and found you may only have a few years to live? So Much So Fast is about the remarkable events set in motion when Heywood discovered he had ALS, the paralyzing neuromuscular disorder also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. Made over five years, So Much So Fast tracks one family's ferocious response to an orphan disease, the kind of disease drug companies ignore because there's not enough profit in curing it. In reaction, and with no medical background, Stephen's brother Jamie
creates a guerrilla science research gro up, and in two years, builds it from three people in a basement to a multi-million dollar ALS mouse facility, the largest anywhere. Finding a drug in time becomes Jamie's all-consuming obsession."

I do find it interesting that this was said "the kind of disease drug companies ignore because there's not enough profit in curing it"; how do you feel about that statement?

Attachments

• SoMuchSoFast.pdf
    36.8 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
... it's the kind of statement that makes sense and is easy to make... but difficult to prove. Someone once called it an orphaned disease and different fom MS because the sufferers often just disappear. I think that any campaign or exposure like this, that puts PALS front and center is a good one and needs to be supported. I know that you guys out there hate being gawked at, my wife sure as heck did. But its better than hiding away somewhere waiting for nature to take its course.

CHeers

T.

ALS running gag in movie "Friends with Money"

Speaking of movies, I was warned about taking my hubby to "Friends with Money" (new Jennifer Aniston movie) as there is a running gag throughout the movie about miserable, rich people who are just grateful that they "don't have ALS or anything horrible like that".

Probably pretty minor to the average person, but my sister-in-law said it was just too much for her to take.

Anyone actually seen it? Was it bothersome/offensive?

Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back