Reason
Friend was DX
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Atlanta
Just wondering if anyone has ever used one of these (the website is from the UK, but I think I came across a US site - just can't find it now). I'm asking for my friend (her husband has ALS and she is concerned about how to manage him with a wheel chair - ). I don't know anything about this product (and I'm not supporting it's use ) I just want to know if anyone has had practical experience with this type of ramp that is portable or if there are other/ better options?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a great product.I have so many friends that it is going to be such a hassle to get up a couple of steps later and this would work fine. I'd like to see if they have a marketer in Canada. AL.

I liked the idea behind it - in that maybe they could just buy the one ramp and then use it where they needed to (the front door or the back or even a van, etc...) - plus, it looks like it can easily be removed (unlike installing more permanent ramps to the home).

Anyone else?

I went to the UK site and then found this one... roller ramp

It's in Fargo, ND...but that's pretty much in Canada, eh? :) I didn't keep searching for Canada marketers, but if I find one, I'll attach it.

Marcia

As close as Minnesota is to Tennessee I'd say. I'll look around too. Thanks.

Pearl,

I bought a similar one, although it looks more compact than the UK one, to carry in the back of my wheelchair van.

I bought the 5' one for about $275 US plus shipping to Canada from an Internet dealer somewhere in the US (e-Bay I think). It's ok although it takes an able bodied person to set it up and takes about 3 minutes. It will span 2 steps. I thought I'd use it more than I do. I've used it once about a month ago. A 4'x30" piece of 5/8"" plywood costs $10 at your local lumber yard, will lie on the floor of your minivan and works almost as well; it also sets up faster.

Hi Greg,

I went to your website but can't find the diameter of the ramps when rolled. They look to be too bulky to carry routinely in the car. Can you tell me what the diameter of a 5' long rolled-up section would be? Mine is 7".

Thanks,

John

I'm confused about length of the ramp. The calculator states that for a 36 INCH rise (three feet), I would need a ramp 24 to 36 FEET long?

That just doesn't seem right.

Rool-A-Ramp

I emailed the company and got a full list of distributors in North America if anyone is looking for one feel free to email me and I'll forward to you.
Chris

Ramp length

Pearl - I'm a building contactor , when you build a wheel chair ramp the National Building Code requires 1' of length to every 1" of rise . A 36" Rise would require a ramp 36' long. Howdy

Pearl said:
I'm confused about length of the ramp. The calculator states that for a 36 INCH rise (three feet), I would need a ramp 24 to 36 FEET long?

That just doesn't seem right.
Pearl, unless you are bound by the National Building Code, the 1:12 slope they use is very gentle and is unnecessary in most situations. Exceptions would include a manual chair user with little upper body strength but if you plan to use a power chair or scooter, then 1:10 or even 1:8 is acceptable.

The best course is to try the chair you plan to use on various slopes. Use a sheet of plywood to test various configurations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back