Diagnosis
07/2007
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Eastern Shore
I am trying to get my insurance to authorize a "rollator walker", a walker with 6 inch wheels and brakes, with a seat facing as you walk in order to take a quick rest. My balance and strength make a regular walker very hard to pick up and move. For some reason, my doctor isn't sure she can justify the rollator, so I'm very interested to know if anyone has experience with it. My legs and torso are in bad shape, and I'm beginning to lose strength in my hands. Also, I have on-going tendonitis in both forearms, so it's better for me to not use my hands and arms more than necessary.

I have a rollator walker, loaned to me by the local ALS chapter. It works extremely well. At this stage, I can put it in between the seats of our car amd remove it without assistance. Do you have a ALS chapter or office near you? Our's (Austin, Texas) has a "loan closet." If there is one available, I would inquire about a loan. There is no charge for borrowing from the loan closet.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes!

Bobby C, that is wonderful that you like your rollator walker so much. Could you tell me how difficult, in other words, how much force do you have to use in order to use the hand brakes? I'm hoping these are made with frail folks in mind and are easy to brake. Thanks for your reply.

Abbas,

I have one that I purchased a week ago tomorrow just for use in my home. I have a little 5 month old rat terrior and I was concerned about him getting in front of me while walking without anything. I have to say I am very pleased with the roller walker. As a matter of fact I have noticed that I have a much more normal walk with the walker, my wife and I figured that I was too tense walking without anything, thus the cause for me picking my feet up more. It's unbelievable how I can cruise around my house with the roller walker with more feeling of security and not worrying about my puppy jumping in front of me. I have problems with my hands but I can still use the brakes if I need to, but in the house I haven't needed the brakes. I'm sure if you sit on the seat and go to get up you will need to engage the brakes though. Good luck to you and may God bless you.

abbas,

Why does your doc not think they can justify a rollator? Is it a matter of you are not "technically" falling down yet?

This really infuriates me when I talk to PALS that are denied coverage for devices because they are not to that specific definition of the insurance company or medicare.

We are fortunate that the docs at my hubby's ALS Clinic are ahead of the game. Do you go to an ALS Clinic?

CJ, I haven't looked up the location of the nearest ALS foundation yet. It's time to do that. My doc is terrific and wants to help, but needs all the answers the insurance will demand... insurance is the rub, but they do technically have to provide the rollator. I get too stressed while waiting.

Jake, I also have a small dog, and if she brushes against me I fall. I can pick up my feet only when well rested. The left foot especially drags almost all the time. I appreciate the blessing! Same to you!:)

Abbas Child: I have weakness in both hands, but probably from arthritis, not a PMA sympton. That being said, when I told the occupational therapist that it is arthritis she looked sceptical. It takes very little efort to apply the brakes. They can also be locked by pulling them downward. This is easy for me to do. I can do it using the palm of my hands and the lleverage in my arms. I think you will probably like a rollator walker. I would try to borrow one if from ALS if at all possible.

Good luck and best wishes.

Bobby, that is terrific--that it's so easy, not that your hands are affected! Thank you!

walker

Hi, I have a HUGO walker, Elite Edition, that I got at a Sam's Club for less than $100.
It works just fine. I take it where ever I go. I can't load it in the car, but my wife can with no trouble, and she is only 4' 10 ". When we go out to eat, I remove one chair from the table and sit on my walker. I can get up better from the walker than a chair, ( higher ) and it's very sturdy, ( I weigh 265 lb.).
Hope this helps,
Bob

Since my last post, I've gotten the rollator and used it quite a bit! A friend packed it into her car so we could go on a trip, and around the house, I've never fallen while using it. The chair is handy... for me to sit as well as for carrying a mug of coffee, collecting things for making dinner, etc. Just great. :)

I did contact the ALS foundation nearest me, which is over two hours away. We'll expect to go to their loan closet when I need a power wheelchair, but a rep, i.e. social worker, told me she'll be coming by to see me in a few weeks. They truly seem helpful.

Thank you all for your helpful input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back