Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
A friend of mine sent me this. I have heard of using Coconut Oil previously, but not with so much information....none of it truely scientific, I should add.

Has anyone had any similar results with these two substances:

Coconut Oil and Ketones

Coconut Oil is supposed to be good for you, try substituting it on toast, frying eggs, hot chocolate, etc. I bought some but seems to not agree with my digestive system... :) and I don't need to be "running" for the bathroom any more than I already do! I am going to try frying some shrimp in it at some point!

Don't know anything about Ketones...

What supplements are you taking right now?

Yes, they are good. While they may not reverse ALS, they can help give energy and strength. By eating coconut oil you allow the body to process energy from a different source of fat than what we normally eat. Coconut Oil is good for many more things than just extra energy. I would suggest eating a tablespoon to 3 every 5/6 days of the week if you have ALS. Otherwise, that is a lot of coconut oil.

You should look up Oil Pulling as well, as this may help.

Second, Coconut oil is great for massage and when used with Magnesium Oil (Ancient Minerals brand) I found it to be extremely helpful for the muscles. The person I took care of with ALS was unable to hold their head up all the way. After a few weeks for massaging the upper back and neck with both oils about twice a week, they began to get more strength in that area of the body. Holding his head up was easier for him then. While, this helps the external problems, I do not believe this helps the cause of the conditions nor will it stop the condition from advancing further. If the case is Bulbar, as the one I was working with was, these types of care giving can only help, not stop or reverse ALS. Nor can such efforts as this affect the inner-systems, such as swallowing, breathing, and talking.

Goodluck.

Off to moderation land... must have said something naughty!

but I do use coconut oil, just not taking too much... supposed to be really helpful in alzheimers (sp?) cases as well.

Read. the recent ALS Untangled report on coconut oil and ketones

Don't feel bad; they deleted my link....essentially changing my post without a PM or any explanation.

Don't feel bad; they deleted my link....essentially changing my post without a PM or any explanation.

If your link pointed to a site that sells the stuff, the admins here will delete that link quicker than you can say c o c o n u t oil. It's always been that way here with sites selling "unproven t r e a t m e n t s"

Now, as Deb said, co co nu t oil was the subject of a recent ALSU n t a n g l e d report. Their verdict: not proven but the biochemistry sounds plausible, so further study is warranted. I've attached a PDF copy of that report at the end of this post.

As for ketones, there have been clinical trials for a "k e t o g e n i c diet", which is a diet designed to raise the level of ketones in your blood. Think low-carb, Atkins diet type of stuff with even more fat and less carbs.

A bit of research should turn up discussions of these items on two other websites that concern themselves with ALS-related matters. There are some threads here, but they aren't terribly helpful.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• ALSU15.PDF
    60.2 KB · Views: 581
Thanks, Allen. You're a gem!

Just remember for anyone that takes any supplements or natural remedies -- some things can interact with other medications. Always discuss ANY nutritional supplement that isn't very basic with your doctor. For instance, some can interact with blood thinners. Just an example--many think that home remedies are harmless--and most are--but not all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back