Reason
PALS
Country
CA
State
ab
City
taber
i was taking some meds and they both gave me dry mouth. one was celesa and the other was imovane. i took the imovane for about 1 month and the celexa for about 10 days the celexa seemed to irritate my throat muscles so i quit it now it seems like i need to clear my throat constantly and my throat muscles seem to be very weak. before taking the meds i was worried about als because my muscles seem weak and my hands did not feel quite right, then i took the meds and can't clear my throat and my neck muscles seem week at night one arm goes numb is that because my neck muscles can't keep anything in line? my neck does not seem any smaller but i'm not sure. i also have faciclations on my body mostly on my legs but the occasional one on my arms and shoulders

Bulbar symptoms can include the frequent clearing of the throat, but the more common bulbar symptoms are slurred speech, weak tongue, tongue atrophy, etc. Numbness is usually not a symptom of als, but rather MS. I'm sure there are many explanations for your symptoms exclusive of als.

How long ago did you quit the meds?

If you google Imovane you will can see the "adverse" effects which could make you think you have bulbar symptoms of ALS.

I had bulbar onset It was with slurred speech a lump in throat I couldnt get up or down. scallopped longue unable to move it quickly back and forth fasces whenI stuck out my tongue But never numbness Lots of tingling in scalp and face Hope that helps Pat

which one of those symptoms did you have first or did they all come quite quickly. Like they all just happened in what period of time. my throat clearing seems like it is very high in my throat. when did you have tingling before or after your speech problems

patricia sciarrino said:
I had bulbar onset It was with slurred speech a lump in throat I couldnt get up or down. scallopped longue unable to move it quickly back and forth fasces whenI stuck out my tongue But never numbness Lots of tingling in scalp and face Hope that helps Pat

thanks pat which symptom did you have first and how long did it take for them to show up was it very suddenly. my throat problem is high in the throat and just does not want to clear even when i drink water. i don't have any troubles except some faciculations in random spots on my body did you have any? my neck muscles also seem a touch weak? did you have tingling before or after your
speech problem. could you ever get rid of the lump because mine was gone all day and now it is back tonite

oldmaster said:
thanks pat which symptom did you have first and how long did it take for them to show up was it very suddenly. my throat problem is high in the throat and just does not want to clear even when i drink water. i don't have any troubles except some faciculations in random spots on my body did you have any? my neck muscles also seem a touch weak? did you have tingling before or after your
speech problem
My first syptoms was a lump high up in throat I had to suck on sough drops it was so annoying then tingling on my had that slurred speech all within a month or so of each other a feeling my tongue was stiff in my mouth no twitching until 6 years later No I have weak arms some weakness in legs not too much fascis slurred speech has stayed the same for last four years,which is unusual,some choking on food but not much.I hope I helped you I was not diagnosed until 2 years ago I have it 8years,The neuro have to really watch you until the symptoms are very obvious sorry But its not that easy there is no real test for ALS Pat

patricia sciarrino said:
My first syptoms was a lump high up in throat I had to suck on sough drops it was so annoying then tingling on my had that slurred speech all within a month or so of each other a feeling my tongue was stiff in my mouth no twitching until 6 years later No I have weak arms some weakness in legs not too much fascis slurred speech has stayed the same for last four years,which is unusual,some choking on food but not much.I hope I helped you I was not diagnosed until 2 years ago I have it 8years,The neuro have to really watch you until the symptoms are very obvious sorry But its not that easy there is no real test for ALS Pat
pat
mine doesn't feel like a lump its just like i can't clear my throat all the time it feels like phlem or dry throat but it comes and goes like today i was all right all day until tonite
did you have any trouble with neck muscles

oldmaster said:
pat
mine doesn't feel like a lump its just like i can't clear my throat all the time it feels like phlem or dry throat but it comes and goes like today i was all right all day until tonite
did you have any trouble with neck muscles
Thats the feeling like phlem was there thats why I used cough drops , neck muscles weak lots of twitching whenI turn my neck and hold it to the left or right and jerking as well in the neck

patricia sciarrino said:
Thats the feeling like phlem was there thats why I used cough drops , neck muscles weak lots of twitching whenI turn my neck and hold it to the left or right and jerking as well in the neck
pat
did your throat ever clear or did it stay that way always when did your neck problems come on? you have had it for awhile you seem to doing good

That symptom is gone as is the head tingling and face tingling.I still have the slurred speech and fatigue arms are almost useless and leg are alittle weak please o see a als md he will give you test in the office for reflexes emgs he will look for many things that you may think you dont have or do have that you are not aware of. It seems you are upset without real cause. Pat

patricia sciarrino said:
That symptom is gone as is the head tingling and face tingling.I still have the slurred speech and fatigue arms are almost useless and leg are alittle weak please o see a als md he will give you test in the office for reflexes emgs he will look for many things that you may think you dont have or do have that you are not aware of. It seems you are upset without real cause. Pat
pat
i went to a neuro and he checked me over he said i don't have it but i think i might be in the earl stages. could he tell that i don't have it just by useing reflex test and no emg or what ever that needle test is called. did you think something was wrong before the lump in your throat?

I never thought i HAD als UNTIL 2 YEARS AGO WHEN IT WAS VERY OBVIOUS, You need MRI EMGs blood test spinal taps before they can say yes or no to ALS .Not just by a office visit. Unless there is really nothing pointing to a neurological problem.Pat

patricia sciarrino said:
I never thought i HAD als UNTIL 2 YEARS AGO WHEN IT WAS VERY OBVIOUS, You need MRI EMGs blood test spinal taps before they can say yes or no to ALS .Not just by a office visit. Unless there is really nothing pointing to a neurological problem.Pat
just the inablility to clear throat and facilations on differant parts of my body and my neck muscles feel weak. i haven't had any cramps yet. did you have cramps pat
i was also wondering if the lump in you throat came and went or did it stay the whole
time you had that symptom
thanks, im just worried

oldmaster said:
just the inablility to clear throat and facilations on differant parts of my body and my neck muscles feel weak. i haven't had any cramps yet. did you have cramps pat
i was also wondering if the lump in you throat came and went or did it stay the whole
time you had that symptom
thanks, im just worried
The lump came and went now gone! No cramps until this year. I think you are just very anxious. Wait awhile before jumping to conclusions try xanax see if it goes away talk to your MD I really think your over reacting Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back