Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
nc
City
nc
Apparently it does not matter where they do the EMG because ALS and the muscular dystrophies even though they may start in one part of the body are systemic and the EMG would pick things up anywhere.

Hi,

That is my understanding. My first DX was ALS and the neuro was suspicious within the first few minutes and only did my hand and arms. At the ALS clinic my leg was also positive for ALS but only the lower motor neuron so I am still under ALS or MMN. Whatever I have, it is systemic. Peg

Thanks Peg. I'm just wondering then why so many people have multiple EMGs with opposite results, normal and abnormal.

peanut

Thats the million dollar question i wonder to? Jenny

EMGs are not a pure science and are operator dependent. So one person can do an EMG and tell you it is normal and another, more experienced technician would do the same test and find abnormality. I think those of us who have had multiple EMG's with multiple outcomes have experienced this first hand. Also it would appear that sometimes the EMG is done too early in the process to meet the diagnostic criteria for ALS - which I believe is 3 limbs and paraspinals (but a more experienced member here could confirm that for you).

Hi Mama of two,

I think you are very right about the early EMG's and experienced Dr. I had my first EMG/NCV n 2002. It was very wierd in comparrison. But at that point I asked the neuro if I could have a systemic problem like ALS or MS and she said NO. She even wrote it in the report. The Dr. in 2006 who first DX me also warmed my arms before the EMG. He said it made a difference in the true outcome of the test. I forgot that part. He then sent me right to the ALS clinic at U of M. He was very mad at the other two neuros I saw. He was very straight with me and for a 45 minute visit was very impressive.

The other thing that was "funny" though was when I told his receptionist that he (DR.) was sending me to U of M. She said, "You can't go there. They won't take you. We don't even know you or have blood work or anything." She gave me the wrong number to U of M and I had to give her the correct one. I have no idea why she was telling me she could't set the appointment. It was not my idea to go there. :?: She did get the appointment and they "accepted" right away - I guess my test was "good enough" for the ALS clinic to see me. Strange experience. Take care, Peg

Hi Mama of two,

I think you are very right about the early EMG's and experienced Dr. I had my first EMG/NCV n 2002. It was very wierd in comparrison. But at that point I asked the neuro if I could have a systemic problem like ALS or MS and she said NO. She even wrote it in the report. The Dr. in 2006 who first DX me also warmed my arms before the EMG. He said it made a difference in the true outcome of the test. I forgot that part. He then sent me right to the ALS clinic at U of M. He was very mad at the other two neuros I saw. He was very straight with me and for a 45 minute visit was very impressive.

The other thing that was "funny" though was when I told his receptionist that he (DR.) was sending me to U of M. She said, "You can't go there. They won't take you. We don't even know you or have blood work or anything." She gave me the wrong number to U of M and I had to give her the correct one. I have no idea why she was telling me she could't set the appointment. It was not my idea to go there. :?: She did get the appointment and they "accepted" right away - I guess my test was "good enough" for the ALS clinic to see me. Strange experience.

It is three limbs but the Dr at the clinic explained that they assume the involvement of the 4 limb as it is systemic. They just don't need to test all four. But what is "paraspinals?"

Take care, Peg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back