Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
Howdy folks. I just visited my parents and got my hands on all the contact info (emails and phone numbers) to try to stay on top of the VA process (what a nightmare!).

I haven't yet found out how ordering a power wheelchair through the VA works. If it's paid through TriCare, Hospice can start asap but if it's paid through Medicare, we have to wait for delivery of the chair to get Hospice started (at least that's what I've heard).

:confused:Has anyone gone through this process? TIA!

VA provides, for free, the best wheelchairs custom-fitted to the PALS and equipped with high tech gadgets specifically designed to help the PALS. Tricare and Medicare are not involved.

VA hospitals have spinal cord injury labs (SCI). This clinic has a lot of paralyzed vets, and so typically has a lot of power wheelchairs coming and going daily. They are experts in measuring, adjusting and modifying PWCs for the unique needs of the patient, with all kinds of high tech gadgets.

We found the process downright fun, interacting with the most caring people in the world at the VA SCI lab.

Thank you! The information I get here is invaluable. I've spent hours trying to figure out how all this works.

Since he's a veteran, you should print out the PDF document attached to our Sticky Post for Veterans at the top of this subforum. It is a ten-page index to veteran benefits your dad should discover. Does he have a representative from the Paralyzed Veterans of America? The PVA rep at their VA clinic would be a knowledgeable and proactive person helping your dad get his benefits.

Did your dad serve 20? Was he medically retired? Getting a VA pension or getting a disability compensation?

He does have a rep. Unfortunately my mother is doing a lot of the communicating and things get lost/misunderstood. He would normally be very proactive about these things but since his diagnosis he doesn't want to be involved in much. He served in Vietnam and has the 100% disabled qualification. I have the reps name and am trying to piece everything together to make sure we get the most of out of the benefits he's entitled to.

I would call the rep. Steve was referred by his va doctor to physical therapy at sci for his wheelchair fitting/ordering. It took two weeks for it to be approved then two weeks to come in once it was ordered.

Star, (and everyone): There are VA ratings that go OVER 100%. There is Special Monthly Compensation, coded by the alphabet. As PALS progress, losing more function, they get SMC K, L, M, etc. Also, "housebound" and "in need of Aid and Attendance" are categories that deserve increased compensation.

I suggest all veterans read the Veterans Sticky at the top of this subforum. It's 10 pages of PDF when printed out, and is filled with info to get you started.

Your parents might also be interested in the free paid life insurance, home modifications, and mortgage insurance benefits.

Mike is right. Steve's compensation increased after his evaluation. I thought he was maxed out but they told me he has at least one and maybe two levels to go. It went up so much because of the aid and attendance and housebound monies. The idea is that if the home health from va doesn't cover all the vets needs, this money is to be used for that purpose.

We found out about the levels last week and as of now are correctly rated. If he loses something else, it may change in the future. We have the visit to the VA on Friday to get registered for the medical benefits available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back