Anyone in US receiving SSDI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found out the other day that after working for over 40 years streight I had to take off the past 2 years because of the ALS. I did not file a claim as I had heard you would be turned down. No I got a letter saying I am no inelgible for SSI disability because I missed my 2 last qtrs. Talk about unfair, I can't get disability because I was to sick to work. I am going to call my account on Monday and ask him about filing 2 prior years amended tax returns where I just pay in the mininum SSI. I am one year away from SSI anyway so the gal was pretty rude and said whats the problem you will be elgible in a year. I may not be here in a year.

Is this the Social Security Admin. that told you that you can not get S.S. Disability due to ALS because to took a leave of absence for 2 years?

You have to wait 24 months then you get Medicare. They go only by what your doctor recommends. Its all in his or her hands. I was told that i would be dead in 2 years thats what he told them . They immediately put the paper work through and i received my first check in 2 -3 weeks. if you did not pay SS tax you will not get SS, simple you only get back what you paid in . Its all in their records . Geo

If you worked for 40 years straight and was only out of work for two years you would have enough quarters for Social Security Disability. Unless you worked part time for a while or there were other gaps. You have a date last insured after you quit working which usually is about 5 years from the date you quit working. That means after that date goes by you can only be elibile for and have to prove disability prior to the date. Not understanding the two years and not enough quarters. You get Medicare with SSD in kicks in two years after the date of onset that you are given by the Social Security Administration.

As for SSI it does go by income and assets so if your wife is working or you have pension/retirement or more than one home etc you will not qualify for that program no matter your diagnosis. You receive Medicaid with SSI from the date of onset.

If you worked for 40 years straight and was only out of work for two years you would have enough quarters for Social Security Disability. Unless you worked part time for a while or there were other gaps. You have a date last insured after you quit working which usually is about 5 years from the date you quit working. That means after that date goes by you can only be elibile for and have to prove disability prior to the date. Not understanding the two years and not enough quarters. You get Medicare with SSD in kicks in two years after the date of onset that you are given by the Social Security Administration.

As for SSI it does go by income and assets so if your wife is working or you have pension/retirement or more than one home etc you will not qualify for that program no matter your diagnosis. You receive Medicaid with SSI from the date of onset.

I dont know where you got your info on SS because its entirely wrong, i have a pension and my wife still works and i had no problem at all . I worked 40yrs in Plumbing and before that i worked in different jobs in high school etc. SS sends you a letter every year ,in it is your Quarters and paid in amounts ,what you would get at a given age etc.this shows you a record of earnings and SS paid in by your employer. I beleive this is called your earnings statement. Has nothing to do with any assets . Geo

ssi has to do with assests, that is for people who havent put enough into the system. It is about 800 a month in Nevada. SSDI is what you get the earnings statement.

GEO there are two different programs SSD and SSI, I don't think you understood my post. I get my information as I am a paralegal in this field and have been doing this for 10 years plus. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back