Anyone here present with weakness (paresis) of vocal cord?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FallingLots

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
UT
City
Salt Lake City
Previous thread

After over a month of hoarseness and swallowing issues, had laryngeal stroboscopy done yesterday which revealed right vocal cord paresis. It wasn't vibrating much or moving as well as the left vocal cord. I heard med students observing in the background quietly exclaim, "look at the right one!" The ENT doctor just told me I didn't have any cancer there - he didn't say anything about the weakened vocal cord - he just quickly departed. If an ENT doctor did suspect ALS, he probably wouldn't say anything to the patient would he? I think he'd just tell my referring doctor or suggest I go to a neurologist. Isn't that right? Thanks for any reassurance you can give about this. I haven't yet had a swallow study. I'm going to bed now, but will check back tomorrow to see if anyone here ever had this situation of a weakened vocal cord before or after being diagnosed with ALS. I'm also dealing with substantial weakness, fatigue, and falling with peripheral neuropathy (not a diabetic). Thanks, PALS and CALS for your input!

It's nearly two years since you were last here with another type of onset concern. So it would be a bit much to consider this in any way a related event.

ALS rarely presents with vocal cord dysfunction, but much more often there is a much less sinister cause. You will know more once you follow up with your primary care doc, and certainly have the right to the full test report.

Best,
Laurie

Prior thread here:

The good news is that it isn't the vocal cord that is usually impacted by ALS, either in the early or the later stages.
It is the tongue and surrounding muscle structures that weaken, and can include the vocal folds.
Your chance of finally proving ALS this are as minute as they were in Feb last year. Truly you don't help yourself by circling back to ALS when something seems to be wrong.
I hope your doctor can assure you.

My first symptoms of ALS were that the vocal cords were not moving on the left side. My speech was slow and measured. Later it showed up as hand weakness on the left side.

I know it can take a long time, possibly years, for some to be diagnosed with ALS, MS, or other serious diseases today. It isn't that I want an ALS diagnosis - but I'm just wanting to have an actual accurate medical diagnosis.

Thanks to all three who took the time to share their thoughts with me - Lgelb, Affected, and Pauliguy. Lgelb and Affected, I'm very sorry for the loss of your loved ones, may they rest in peace. Thanks for your kind words and suggestions.

And Pauliguy I'm sorry you were recently diagnosed with ALS in May.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back