Diagnosis
08/2014
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Bellingham
Anyone else have/had this problem? Lately my foot below my very weak ankle (Other leg/foot is normal) has gotten puffy (slightly swollen) & red but not warm. In fact the doctor said it felt a little cold to him. I think it affects my balance a little which is already getting troublesome. The doctor suspected a blood clot but the ultrasound proved negative. All he could suggest was to wear compression socks which do help but are really hard to get off since my left arm/hand is considered paralyzed. It takes me a year to get it off but I eventually get it done. By the way, I still live alone. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If I don't prop my feet up to heart level for periods of time, mine swell. Usually do 30 minutes at a time, several times a day. Haven't paid attention to their color. Mine are always hot and sweaty no matter how cold the rest of me is

i have had this going on they are red an cold all the time. it hurts to step down on them. i was going to bring this up the next time i see my dr. dalvin im going to try that. my foot have got smaller. so they could be swelled up. i can't tell

Try Vasowraps. Rate of capillary return can improve somewhat w/o compression w/ skin @ more consistent temperature.

Thanks for your responses! They are helpful. I'll look into the vasowraps.

I found this device for putting on compression socks at a medical supply store. It helps greatly in putting them on and off. It is a wire frame that you put the sock on then slide you foot through.

DH and I went to emergency at the hospital yesterday because of this. Every morning for the last couple weeks, he's had a puffy, red, hot left foot. We called the Neuro and they told us to get to the hospital immediately in case it was a blood clot. The dr. checked DH and figured it was not a clot, as his whole leg would be swollen. He gave us a prescript. for antibiotics for a week saying it looks like a skin infection. DH is a diabetic, but well-controlled with Metformin. When they tested his blood at emergency yesterday, his blood glucose level was 17 which is really really high for him. The dr. figured it was because of 'the skin infection' in his foot? He was tested later and he was not too bad at 8 otherwise the dr. was going to give him a shot of insulin which he's never had. So we'll see if the antibiotics works - dr said to come back after 3 days if no change. Now that I'm reading these responses I'm wondering if the antibiotics were the way to deal with this? Oh well, guess we'll see... Have a happy day ~ Heather ~

MUSIC: Our Physical Therapist hooked us up with an air-pump-powered inflatable leg massager that worked really well at clearing the edema and making the legs feel better. Just 40 minutes once a day.

Heather you do have to be very careful with foot swellings with diabetes in the mix. It could be cellulitis which is a serious condition and needs antibiotics.

If there is no heat in the swelling it's fairly safe to just try massage, elevation, compression etc

Heather you do have to be very careful with foot swellings with diabetes in the mix. It could be cellulitis which is a serious condition and needs antibiotics.

If there is no heat in the swelling it's fairly safe to just try massage, elevation, compression etc

Tillie

Yes, he's on a weeks' worth of antibiotics. The foot was red, swollen and very hot, and the skin looks mottled very oddly with red and white, kind of like a powdery white...

bi did like what dalvin said he was doing and it helped a lot. thinks for the tip dalvin.

Heather I would elevate those feet as much as you can, and when the heat starts to subside try doing some gentle massage a couple of times a day (I know, somehow try to fit it in). It sounds like the skin could be delicate at the moment, so it would be careful about massaging until it's a bit more robust.

I did have cellulitis in 2011. Lucky for me I was having coffee with a doctor friend when I discovered it annd he sent me to the hospital right away. You don't mess with that stuff!

My foot is not warm but rather on the cool side and does respond to compression socks but I'n going to try thos vasowraps anyway.

Heather I would elevate those feet as much as you can, and when the heat starts to subside try doing some gentle massage a couple of times a day (I know, somehow try to fit it in). It sounds like the skin could be delicate at the moment, so it would be careful about massaging until it's a bit more robust.

Tillie

Hey Tillie - it's funny that the foot is very hot, red and swollen after a night of sleeping - so it is elevated, unless I should keep it elevated on a pillow to make it even higher, maybe? Huggs xoxo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back