Anyone have any experience with getting grants for handicap adaptation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trying to stay positive

Distinguished member
Reason
CALS
Diagnosis
08/2007
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Chicago area
I am starting to research information on grants to help pay for making a home handicap accessible. Our home has been on the market for over a year now. We have dropped the price twice, for a total of $20,000. Still hardly even any lookers. I have been scoping out what is available in our area for someone with handicap needs and there is virtually nothing in our price range. If I knew we would be eligible for and able to obtain a grant to fund the adaptations, then it would sure open up the possibilities of what types of places we can consider.

We live in IL. Anyone have any experience with researching and/or obtaining state or federal grants? I am so stressed over this. We are spending $1000 a month (living frugally - believe me) more than is coming in. We can't keep this up much longer! My husband's legs are getting weaker and the stairs are getting more and more difficult for him. Last night for the first time, he was unable to get up out of the office chair by himself. The word "desperation" is starting to creep into my vocabulary.

Any advice or suggestions? I have tried ALSA & my state representative, with no help forthcoming. If nothing else, thanks for listening.

Last edited:
How about the MDA?

... I really feel for your situation, please keep posting about this, we may not be able to help, but at least ranting may help you to cope.

If you Google IndividualGovernment Grants you get a lot of hits. You've probably done this already. The few sites I checked seemed a little fishy ... they want $$ to send you a "free" list of government agencies.

There has GOT to be a solution to this.

(Did either of you ever work for the Chi Tribune ? If you did, I can give info on a great grant program for medical needs. It's an LA Times program, but extended to Trib retirees since the companies merged.)

Good luck. It drives me up the wall when PALS have to struggle with stuff like this on top of dealing with their illness.

Have you contacted Stu Millheiser at Guardian Angels? He might be able to help.

AL

Al is so right, Stu @ ALS Guardian angels has been wonderful and he put us in touch with a wonderful ALS Nurse called Marybeth who has been a Godsend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back