08/2006
Country
BE
State
Belgium
City
Brussels
Dear mates,

I really miss writing; my handwriting is like a 3 years old kid now and I can't even sign as before; I have tried many ways and I guess it may work by using my middle finger instead of my index finger, but it needs lots of practice I guess so I was wondering if any of you is experiencing difficulties in writing and if you already have some tips.

Thank you

Omar

Hi Omar,
The only thing that has helped me is using fat pen for better grip,,it takes a bit to get pen around fingers but it does help. Good luck.

P.s i dont see and difference in my writing,,,lol i have always written sloppy.

Paula

Omar,

I have heard of PALS praising these pens. They are available at several stores in North America but don't know about the Netherlands. However you could order on-line. I have no personal experience with them but have considered getting one as my fingers continue to stiffen.

http://www.penagain.com/

John

hey Paula and John,

Yes I guess it is much easier to use a thicker pen for a better grip, so far I am still trying and curious for what others PALS are doing. As for the penagain, I have already bought it and it is a good way to use the middle finger for support instead of the index finger but still one needs to really practice in order to adjust to this new way.
So far I am still using my index finger as a support even though it is curled up.

thank you

Omar

Hi Omar- I keep meaning to get the specia pens because my hands are so crampy and most days I can't read my own handwriting. I just rely more on typing -

Plus I did a search to find an on-line store. I had found one once where you can order all sorts of equipment and supplies at reasonable prices. But I don't know what I did with that research. There are pages and pages of sites that offer supplies. Maybe somebody will PM you with a link to one that worked well for them.

Cindy

Last edited:
Hi Gang-

My mother's occupational therapist gave her an assortment of foam tubes that slip over pens and pencils. They're just cheap little things but work well. She also uses some to fit around her forks and spoons. I'm sure they're online somewhere or one could ask a doctor/therapist about them.

Shannon

shannonme said:
Hi Gang-

My mother's occupational therapist gave her an assortment of foam tubes that slip over pens and pencils. They're just cheap little things but work well. She also uses some to fit around her forks and spoons. I'm sure they're online somewhere or one could ask a doctor/therapist about them.

Shannon

Here's a webpage for the grips:

http://www.sammonspreston.com/Supply/Product.asp?Leaf_Id=560116#

Here's another handy item we just learned about:

http://www.sammonspreston.com/Supply/Product.asp?Leaf_Id=2079#

Pulling up zippers were a huge problem.

Hey Cindy and shannon,

Well I am really happy so far that I still can type, but sometimes it is really necessary to write a note or even to sign some official papers I even sketch a lot using a pencil before designing so in a way I hope I will be able to write again and I guess the grips is a great idea, I remember once my ergotherapist told me to use foam tubes as grips and she told me that I can find them in the heating system accessories shops. I will give it a try ;)
Thank you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back