Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I have ALS, but whatever has caused my widespread fasciculations, atrophy, weakness and tremors didn't start until shortly after I got a compression fracture in my cervical spine.

Researchers at BU found a link between head trauma and MND, thought they call it "chronic traumatic encephalomyelopathy" which is "ALS-like." I'm not entirely clear on what the distinction is.

"Over the past two years, BU researchers have linked head injuries in former athletes to depression and dementia, making headlines and leading to rule changes in the National Football League. Turns out that these problems may not be the only ones collision athletes like football players, boxers, and hockey players need to worry about. The researchers have now found a link between repetitive head trauma and a new form of motor neuron disease similar to amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), or Lou Gehrig’s disease. Their findings were published today in the September 2010 issue of the Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology."

Andy,

The link in my previous post in this thread directly addresses the findings of the BU researchers.

Interesting read, sorry I missed that originally.

I still don't quite understand the distinction that BU researchers drew between ALS and Encephalopathy.

I can assure everyone that no stone is being left unturned when it comes to researching the cause(s) of ALS. Unfortunately, no definitive evidence has been found under those stones . . . and until there is any evidence . . . we must refrain from making speculative statements in a way that makes them appear factual, because it can lead to misinformation and panic on the internet. That was part of the initial broo-haha with this thread. It doesn't appear that anyone has made any such statements when this thread was resurrected.

Thanks for pointing that out wright, I certainly wasn't intending on contributing to or causing any broo-haha. I just felt that with the recent passing of former CFL football player Tony Proudfoot and the work he has done to try to help others who may be effected, that perhaps it was a good time to bring it up. I am sorry if this causes any concern. I realize that researchers do try to leave no stone unturned, I merely feel that because of Mr. Proudfoot's openess to discuss his situation and his thoughts, I wanted to share his suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back