Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
IL
City
Chicago
My Mom has ALS and I'm about to get a power wheelchair for her. Do any of you have any recommendations on the following chairs: Quantum 6000, Quantum 6000Z, Perbombil C300 and/or Invacare TDX-SP? Thanks for your help. I just want to find the most reliable, comfortable, adaptable chair for ALS sufferers (mainly for indoor use)

I have a Quantum 6000 and it works for me. One major thing to consider is the total height after the person sits in the wheel chair. This has been a problem for me as my over all height is 59 inches, when sitting in my chair, as I am 6 feet tall, which makes it hard to find a van that has that much head room clearance.
Plan ahead and consider these things.

Freddie has a permobil c300, he is very tall and that chair seems to work for him. I do know that the ones that tilt and recline are nice, it helps to keep the weight off of the rear. We did look around for a long time and that one seemed to be the best for his height issues. Hope this helps.
netty

netty, hi sweetie! Been looking forward to your posts! I am down again. Lost my pooch Oct.2nd, 3 days later lost my brother in law (the one that's been hospitalized since June 13th), well he passed on Oct 5th (my mom's b'day) Will try to be back to normalcy in a few days, in the meantime am getting ready for my sis's husband funeral. God bless you all!

Irma

Sorry you're going through a tough spell Irma. Hang in there.

Jamie. I have had an Invacare TDX5 for 1/2 years. Not a bad chair. Had to replace motor on wheel but was warranty.

AL.

Thank you Al. We are planning a beautiful Military style funeral for my bro in law. It's been quite a while since I been to one of those! May my little "hillbilly bro in law" rest in peace!

Irma

My mom used the Quantum 600 with power tilt, leg extension and recline. Of course, with PALS nothing ends up being the generic stock and she ended up with a combination gel seat. The tilt and recline were indispensable for her. Especially as her tailbone became closer and closer to the surface of her skin. It was the only way she was able to alleviate the pressure. When she became very thin, I did have to move her forward, squish the gel around from time to time because her tailbone would torpedo to the base of the chair!

It did a great job going over the thresholds, bumps in the lawn, etc. It would eat up throw rugs or things she drove over if it they were not nailed down.

I still can't believe how expensive these things are. It was more than $24,000. And the 600 is on the lower end of the scale! Thank goodness for health insurance. And the ALS loan closet that gave us one while we waited the 5 months for ours to come in! (And that darn chair is for sale currently, if anyone is interested. A mere $5000. I wish we could donate it, but financially that's not possible. :-(

I've never used a mesage board before today. To those of you who already responded to my thread today, thank you so much for your input on power wheelchairs. I just want the best for my Mom and I can't thank you enough for helping me (and my Mom) out. I also appreciate any future replies/info. Jamie

Hi -

We had a Pride Quantum 600 with tilt, recline and power leg lifts - paid for by Medicare and insurance. After 2 years it is SOOO uncomfortable that Pat went ahead and purchased a Permobil c300 at her own expense. BIG difference in comfort.

The other chair is too large in every way - too long, too wide, too high to get under a table - just clunky. By the way - the "actuator" has been faulty since we got it - I think that is the recline mechanism.

This new chair is sleek, fits her body better and is far more manuverable. We added the lift feature - which she loves. One big problem - the tie down areas (for securing it for travel in a vehicle) are too low on the frame. Pat bounces wildly in the car and it is really scary. Ties down mechanisms should be at least as high as the seat bottom. Not sure what to do about that problem.

We are VERY sorry we had no way to compare chairs - you get what you are measured for. If you have any way to borrow different models - please do so, it might save you lots of headaches. Use each one for at least a week - and travel in your vehicle with it if possible.

We also have a member of our support group who refused delivery of her Invacare - she prefers her old, borrowed Permobil (don't know what model).

Best of luck - Beth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back