Any Recommendations for a Heated Mattress Pad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swalker

Very helpful member
Reason
DX MND
Diagnosis
07/2014
Country
US
State
CO
City
Vail
We have used a heated mattress pad for many years on our regular bed. This summer, I started using a hospital bed. I have looked many times to find a heated mattress pad that will fit the hospital bed, but so far have not had any luck.

Now that the temperatures have dropped below zero (F) at night, it is really past time to get one.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a heated mattress pad that will fit a hospital bed (my bed is 36" x 84").

Thanks for your help!

Steve

We used the Soft Heat Perfect Fit line, which meets the UL standard for non-hazardous voltage, using <25 volts. You can duct tape the cord onto the under side of the hospital bed frame so it does not interfere with a Hoyer or frame movement. You can use it under a foam overlay, pad cover and/or slip sheet if you want, and the heat will still rise to where it should without the pad itself getting hot, which is a danger for skin in an immobile person.

We had a separate cover over the heated pad, to enable smooth movement of the slip sheet under the top sheet, popping the corners of the top sheet to do the pivot turn when Larry got up in the morning.

There is a warning not to use on adjustable beds that I think is based on the fact that you could easily pinch the cord if you do not secure it this way.

Amazon has standard bed sizes, Cozy Winters has other sizes including the 38x80 and 38x84", and many others as well, e.g. for P/CALS sharing a bed or with other setups. There are some knockoffs with similar names, so I would make sure you are getting the low voltage line.

I still use one on my own bed.

Nona and Lgelb, thank you both for your suggestions and information.

I think this points me in the right direction. The dimensions I provided for my bed were incorrect. The correct size is 36" x 80".

I have found several heated mattress pads that are 39" x 80" and are UL listed. I think one of these will work.

I have found one provider that has one that is 36" x 80", but it is a brand I have never heard of, is very expensive, has s 50% restocking fee, and has some bad reviews. I think I will avoid it.

Again, thanks for the holp.

Steve

Yes, Larry's bed was 36x84" and 38" (twin XL for the 84") bedding worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back