Any advice on home modification please ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keiro

Reason
CALS
Diagnosis
09/2019
Country
CA
State
ON
City
st. catharines
Hello, my father has been battling ALS since august 2019. Only me and my mother he accepts care so PSW. My dad now has lost the use of hand and legs . Me and my mom are having hard time moving him in house and to washroom and shower or anywhere . We have been waiting to figure out how to get help with home modification but after forms and all nothing has happened.
We are in Ontario Canada. We have a power wheelchair from ALS Canada .
Home modification are very expensive as my mom went off work to care for my dad 24/7.

anyone from Canada knows ways to get help from government ?
March of dimes is not easy they ask for 2 quote and applications. During covid 19 we managed to get 1 contractor most contractors when they hear it’s for ALS and March of dimes , they dont show up.
Me and my mom are really exhausted from carrying him up the stairs and outside . We can’t leave him to just stay in his recliner 24/7.
Any advice anyone knows other ways . My father had disability prev to ALS and also he is 74 years old.
thank you for listening to my rant
Mehrshad

Sorry to hear your situation, Mehrshad. I'm sure someone who knows more about the Canadian system will jump in. It sounds like you could use a hospital bed and patient lift, if you don't have those, as well as the home modification.

However, if you have a full flight of stairs, it is worth considering what the timing, complexity and feasibility of renovating the ground floor for all his needs would entail, and whether moving, even temporarily, might be an option.

Best,
Laurie

I would go back to ALS Canada for help. They should be able to supply a hoyer lift and a commode. As Laurie mentioned, it would probably make sense to set him up downstairs. If he has lost use of his hands and legs then a stairlift is not suitable and a lift to get his wheelchair up the stairs will be very expensive. Can you temporarily setup the living room downstairs with a bed and commode? Long-term I'm not sure how you are going to get through this with only two caregivers, especially since I assume your mom is also a senior and you are working. Even if you could get him to agree to a PSW to sit with him while your mom runs errands, that would help. There should be social workers at his ALS clinic that can help with finding programs that will fund home renovations. These programs usually require the homeowners to be low income. As for the contractors not showing up - that's a toughie. Can you withhold that it is for ALS/March of Dimes until they show up at the door? It sounds like a very frustrating situation, I wish you luck.

There are grants to help pay for modifications you can apply for. My husbands lift off the deck. Our tracking in the house. The wheelchair lift in my car were all paid for by the PARA program. We got signed up the first day we met with his team of drs when he was diagnosed. Your OT should also have this information. The money is there for these things. Just keep calling till you find the right person who can help you.

Thank you kindly, I noticed that with out calling and asking a lot nothing happens. My father does not accept any PSW other than my mom ( she use to be PSW) I am just trying to figure it out, I just feel guilty I am slow finding information. You all have been helpful I start with above suggestions
Thank you
Mehrshad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back