Any advice on getting into a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wings,

Have you seen the after-market rotate-lift seats? Looks like they replace a seat. Expensive, though.

Bob

i have been looking at vehicles that have a rotate seat... front seat rotates around to face the car door entrance... i dont need one yet but all is getting difficult...sounds like im a similar stage to you - also left side worse than right - be very careful getting out of passengers seat onto curb side - i fell on too pavement one day -it was the curb that got my footing mixed up - goodness knows how... it all happened very quickly .... and never a curb fall again as i am careful. SUV seats can be helpful for me cos the higher - but is you seat too high to get up too?

I used the garbage bag trick. Get a hefty lawn and leaf bag. Put it on the seat witht he open end towards the door. Back onto seat, sit down. (Hold the door with your strong hand, have your wife keep her hip on the door so that it does not swing shut. ) your wife will be able to swin you easily into the car. the plastic bag slides on itself so there is no resistance.

One of the most crushing things about ALS is the continuing adaptations that we need to make and re-make as the disease progresses. Whenever possible, choose a solution that works for the long term. In this case that would be the wheelchair van. Yes, it's expensive, but less expensive than paying for an interim solution and then getting the van later anyway.

-Tom

Thanks for the description. Would a bag let my wife slide me further onto the car seat before swinging me around and lifting my legs into the car? Seems like it might.

I used the garbage bag trick. Get a hefty lawn and leaf bag. Put it on the seat witht he open end towards the door. Back onto seat, sit down. (Hold the door with your strong hand, have your wife keep her hip on the door so that it does not swing shut. ) your wife will be able to swin you easily into the car. the plastic bag slides on itself so there is no resistance.

That is good advice. It is unfortunate that I had to replace two cars shortly before diagnosis with an anticipated cervical fusion surgery in mind. So there is no money for a van right now.

One of the most crushing things about ALS is the continuing adaptations that we need to make and re-make as the disease progresses. Whenever possible, choose a solution that works for the long term. In this case that would be the wheelchair van. Yes, it's expensive, but less expensive than paying for an interim solution and then getting the van later anyway.

-Tom

Bob, check to see if there is a local non emergency transport company. Our area has one that has a rear entry van that accommodates a PWC. We use it sometimes for local Doc appointments.

Please be careful. I did some soft tissue injury to my arms getting out of the car last May. Haven't been in a regular car since July and am still feeling pain and loss of ROM from trying to continue using the car for too long.

If you put a good sliding transfer board on the seat--it will help you to be moved into position once you're seated on the edge of the seat. I'd recommend the wooden ones as they are nice and slippery and easier to slide.

I can't get into a SUV unless I sit down as if I'm sitting in a chair and then move my legs in. If it's a matter of it being too high--don't know what to suggest.

I have more problems getting out of cars as I can't pull myself up with weak legs half the time.

hello,you might need to go car shop that can modify your car for easy access

Thanks, momap. I will look into that.

I am recuperating from having fallen down last week in the house, so I am now very careful with everything, and I'm also "guarded" with great care. :)

Bob

Bob, check to see if there is a local non emergency transport company. Our area has one that has a rear entry van that accommodates a PWC. We use it sometimes for local Doc appointments.

Please be careful. I did some soft tissue injury to my arms getting out of the car last May. Haven't been in a regular car since July and am still feeling pain and loss of ROM from trying to continue using the car for too long.

notme,

Yes, that's how get in the SUV -- sitting down as if in a chair. Worked pretty good for me until several weeks ago.

The local ALSA left a wooden transfer board to try out, so I will ask my PT about using it with the car.

I'm mostly okay with getting out of the SUV because I'm near standing when I come off the seat. But it can be awkward getting to balance. Right arm works and left not so much. That red-handle tool like the one posted by marypat helps, and is also good for turning around.

Thanks.

Bob

If you put a good sliding transfer board on the seat--it will help you to be moved into position once you're seated on the edge of the seat. I'd recommend the wooden ones as they are nice and slippery and easier to slide.

I can't get into a SUV unless I sit down as if I'm sitting in a chair and then move my legs in. If it's a matter of it being too high--don't know what to suggest.

I have more problems getting out of cars as I can't pull myself up with weak legs half the time.

Last edited:
teee sorry t o hear about your Mom. that is a great idea with the plastic bag.

and thanks for the door handle thingy Mary Pat

both helpful in my situation !

My car is just a normal passenger car, not a big clearance SUV.
My problems is getting up from the drivers seat and get out of the car because of my leg weakness.
Getting in is not much of an issue for me.

NH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back