Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
EU
State
RO
City
Bucharest
Hi guys, sorry for posting here, I tried avoiding it for as long as I could. I'm 21 years old, around september I suddenly started seeing double (like slightly ghosted above) and a few weeks after I started getting muscle spasms in my legs. Fast forward a week, I started getting them in my arms, back, face, absolutely everywhere, tongue included although not constant.

I've been to 3-4 neurologists who concluded nothing is wrong based on reflexes and strength. The last one sent me to an EMG for my peace of mind. While doing the EMG, the first time he stuck the needle in me he asked me if I had a spinal problem, because of what I assume is spontaneous activity (looks like it in the picture). He stuck the other leg, a bicep and a tricep and refused to stick me in the tongue because he saw no reason to.

Back then I already had a slight... fissure next to the middle fissure of the tongue. When the tongue rests it kinda looks like a vertical dent, and its' on both sides although asymmetrical. Recently I feel like the fissure kind of extended and while I was talking to friends saying "should I go on the pvp server" came out as "should I go on the pv... pv.... pvp". Now I randomly stop midword from time to time, not sure if it's anxiety or something else. The EMG Report Summary said +3 MUPS in all muscles, +1 poly in all muscles and 1 high amp. in my right leg. He did tell me to get the disease out of my mind and get anxiety help but with the recent slurring I'm not sure if I can.

I should add that while I feel like I'm constantly slurring and my right leg is giving out, no family member seems to notice and I asked them to pay attention. The doctor that ran the EMG also suggested I should look into Myasthenia Gravis, since no other doctor suggested it/ ran any tests. The problems started about 5 weeks after taking levofloxacin, and exactly on the second day of Prednisone

If you meant to type "double vision," I would see an opthalmologist.

Many of us have what look like dents. Dryness in winter or with anxiety or both makes them more troublesome/visible. I would look at your hydration, try a sugar-free cough drop, etc. It can also relate to food allergies, so keeping a food diary wouldn't hurt.

If you'd like to post the EMG report without your name, we might be more helpful, but it doesn't sound like there's reason for concern about ALS. MG shows distinct patterns on EMG but is certainly something to make sure has been ruled out.

Quinolones certainly have adverse effects, as do steroids. So I would give yourself a "cooling off" period to regroup, as well.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks for the reply, I'll try to take a look at my hydration for starters. I did see 2 ophtalmologists and they said there's no issue. I'm currently waiting to see the best ophtalmologist in my country in a month. Sorry for attaching so many pictures, but I wasn't sure if I should also attach the "waves" of the emg themselves. There is another one with the right biceps that looks a bit weird but I'm sure it's nothing. I'm just scared because of the lack of testing in bulbar area and the fact that he didn't explain the cause of the movement at rest
1609792955083.png
1609792977698.png
135582597_750170455608156_8943813347456538617_n.jpg
135571014_731684554446137_6851680796056838544_n.jpg
135484574_868030647074269_623853882949458220_n.jpg
1609793444361.png

1609793520253.png
1609793531423.png
1609793545504.png

As they said, no reason to suspect ALS.
What were you on the abx/pred for?

Since I can finally post again, I'm going to update the thread with the questions I asked Laurie in private while I couldn't update it here. My biggest concern was that when I was lifting my tongue up a bit and then lowering it while watching the underside, it dimpled in and out in an area near the tip, where the tip has shrunk quite a bit and I thought those were fasciculations/fibrillations. And raising the tip while out of the mouth the left side raises first and the right side kinda falls behind. When protruding it without any deviation, while pressing down on the base with my upper teeth the "small scratch/dent" would bunch up towards the middle and then go down, but I now realised it's probably because I'm putting tension on my tongue with all these things.

I also asked if the EMG in the arms would've showed other things if there was any worry for bulbar. The "slurring" I'm having is not always heard by others and there is no tongue weakness, like I'll just stop midword, I'm also jotting that down for anxiety.

I also asked about the sponteanous activity in the EMG, because the right leg seems to have gotten smaller and it cramped constantly 2 days ago, it still does a bit but it's better and I can walk almost normally. I wanted to know if having no UMN signs and with the EMG looking the way it looked I was in the clear and should get it out of my head.

Fast forward to today, my psychiatrist consultation came, I explained my problems, he made me walk on my toes and heels and found nothing abnormal, he did say my left hand thenar muscle seems a bit smaller but with a strength test dismissed it as nothing (squeezing his fist). I showed him my tongue and he told me I've got no atrophy whatsoever, and he didn't hear me slur my words. He told me I've got hypochondria with a bit of OCD that was made rampant by the quarantine and gave me a treatment, hopefully it'll all be alright and I won't have to come back. I still feel like I choke on my food from time to time, but nothing constant and definitely not liquids.
So I'll try to get my anxiety down, and I'd like to thank everybody on this forum for doing what they're doing, and especially Laurie for taking the time to answer my questions.

I just noticed that in the conclusions of the EMG/NCS report it says the left median nerve amplitude is on the inferior side of the average, and that's visible with 3.9/4.1 compared to 10.3/10.2 and there are also differences between the right foot and the left foot. Based on this should the neurologist have tested the median nerve with the needle, or is it indicative of something else, or nothing at all? The internet says axonal loss and like I said before, the muscles on the left hand got quite small, could be because it's my non dominant hand?
Sorry to be back here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back