00/0000
Country
UK
State
NY
City
Edinburgh
Hello everybody ,

Firstly, I'm really grateful for this community being so kind and generous as to include those who are not technically affected by ALS. I appreciate the straight forward feedback and advice of folks with experience of the condition that all of us posting here, are so afraid of.

For about 14 months, I've experienced twitches which began in my thighs, but very quickly (almost instantly) began to affect every part of my body. Legs... Arms... Waist... Head, eyes you name it. My twitches are most often singular - 3 times, sometimes when I'm in bed they can bop-bop-bop to about 10 before I move the affected limb which makes it stop. They resemble a pulse / where they seem to pop out (rather than for example, ripple).

For the last 2 - 3 weeks, I've felt it mostly on my left foot (under the ankle, to the side of my foot / arch area.)

In general they are worse when I'm sat down, and worst when I'm in bed at night. Some twitches can be a little sore, especially in the foot arch area, where it feels like they almost pop and twist!

Also, I feel vibrations like buzzing, for example, if I sleep with my head over my arm, I might feel as if my arm muscle is very slightly vibrating.

I get more pins and needles as I did, well in my feet and hands, and sometimes (much more rarely) on the side of my face. The P&N on my face is not 'completely' numb, just distinctly less sensitive (it recovers after 15 - 30mins.) The pins and needles in my hands / feed recover with movement / rubbing.

Since this began, (and probably month before it) I also experience dull aches, and sometimes stabbing pains in my finger tips / toes. Alternating. They've never got worse (and on the contrary come and go, but generally improve depending on how I feel / what I eat.)

I've experienced what I could describe as perceived weakness, for example my arms or legs might just feel weak. I say perceived, because... if I'm late for a bus I overcome that sensation to run, and likewise if I have to for example, move furniture.

So, 14 months I've lived with the twitches daily and I'd appreciate any feedback. I'm 17 stone guy, 5'11, slightly sedentary (working behind computer). I don't think I've got any signs of atrophy, and I certainly haven't become physically impaired.

As I can't really afford to see neurologists or get EMG's etc - I'd certainly appreciate any feedback. I know we're not doctors but I'd appreciate any advice.

PS - I do suffer from health anxiety (possibly a result of minor OCD) and this is the killer... I believe my own anxieties about my symptoms even made my partner so anxious that she began to experience similar symptoms (and has done for the last 5 month) again with no atrophy / physical weakness whatsoever. It makes me feel terrible to think I've probably brought about these symptoms in a loved one.

Anyway - appreciate the great work you guys are doing and I'd love to hear your thoughts, and thanks for letting me become a part of the community.

Please read this if you have not already done so:

You describe twitching, perceived weakness, pins and needles sensations. Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure whichyou have not described. Perceived weakness is not the same as clinical weakness noted by a physician. Pins and needles are sensory symptoms that point away from ALS. So you are not describing ALS at all.

Please see a doctor to address your concerns and get help for your anxiety.

Sir, You do not want to be apart of this community now or ever. What you have described are not ALS symptoms, at least not from my experience with this disease to date. Your best bet is to talk to your doctor include your ALS concerns. You may want to schedule an appointment with a counselor as well, I did prior to my diagnosis because all of my initial tests were coming back normal. I didn't know what to think. Then it was already in place when this death sentence was handed down. It kept me sane and helped me to be able to tell my children and grandchildren. It kept me going when my husband brought his healthy girlfriend to my house to meet me. Then again when he moved out and hasn't seen or talked to me since. The rreason I added that was to hopefully tell you I appreciate your partners dedication to you. Gods blessings on you both

Jaffajeo. as you wrote....

"thanks for letting me become a part of the community."

Fortunately.... you are not.

Diagnosis: " I do suffer from health anxiety (possibly a result of minor OCD)"
Edit: Major OCD.... not minor.

Advice: If you can not afford to see a doctor self help would be to stop
reading about ALS and more about OCD. And... stop following this Forum.

Thank you so much for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it. I really do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back