Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
GA
Hello everybody,

I’d like to start out by saying I’m a 29 year old male who has had their own fair share of anxiety issues for well over two years now.

A quick backstory on me -

I went to the emergency room early august of 2021 due to some gastro issues. Couldn’t keep anything down such as water, food, etc. this went on for about a month in July before I finally had enough and went to the ER. (Couldn’t get into an urgent care or see GP due to COVID being a heavy issue in our world at the time). I obviously thought I had appendicitis bursting, gall bladder disease, possibly pancreatitis and my anxiety was at an all time high as you can probably imagine, MRI was done and everything checked out.

Fast forward about a month later, September of 2021 and I started having a constant twitch in my lower right quadrant (abdomen) exactly where some of my previous gastro pain was. It was twitching constantly for about 30 minutes before it subsided and stopped completely. Obviously being the self diagnosis guru that I’ve always been, I looked up the symptom of twitching and I’m sure you can imagine what I diagnosed myself with.

The twitching has pretty much spread to all areas of my body since then. More recently I’ve started having a lot more fasciculations in my feet. I’ve been experiencing a lot of tightness in my right foot along with the tingling/pins and needles sensation that doesn’t seem to go away unless I’m walking. Ive got some consistent calf soreness and for the past few months my vertigo has felt off making me feel like my body wants to carry more right. Lately when I wake up my lower legs, ankles and feet feel very stiff and somewhat sore. I haven’t noticed any muscular strength declining which is the only thing keeping me optimistic. ALS has pretty much been in the front of my head for the past almost year and a half and I feel like I’m a prisoner inside of my own head.

I saw a neurologist a few weeks ago who did a standard physical on me and said there was nothing indicating I had any issues like I’m describing. I go in for an EMG Thursday and the anxiety has been building like no other. I guess I’m posting this because I would like to hear other peoples opinions on what I’ve described and I’d like to know whether or not anxiety / stress alone could cause these types of symptoms as well.

Thank you all for your time
-Ben

Hi Ben,

Sorry your search online for twitching brought you here unnecessarily and has caused you worry about a neurological disease. This link should reassure you: Read Before Posting

You list many things not at all associated with ALS and none of the things that would give a doctor concern about it. Keep working with your doctor to figure out what's going on, but as you will have read in the link above, ALS is not on the list of things you need to be concerned about.

It sounds like you also have a fair amount of health anxiety, outside of your physical issues- you've catastrophized a fair amount- so you may want to work on that as well. Especially as you've indicated the anxiety itself has affected your life this past year and a bit.

Take care

I'm sorry you won't believe doctors. We can only say the same - nothing at all indicates ALS. Twitching means nothing.
You can seek mental health assistance and get out of that prison. This is very treatable.
Please don't continue posting here however.

Hey affected,

I apologize you think I came here looking for somebody to make me feel better as that wasn’t my case. Also, I never said anything about not believing any doctors just that I am exploring all possibilities and that without an EMG test I can’t necessarily completely rule out ALS. Again, I apologize if any of my wording came out wrong as that wasn’t my intention. Thanks again for your response.

Once again... being only 29 years old your chances of having ALS is six digits
against it. And... the Neuro had that realization but to cover any legalities
and maybe your persistence he/she ordered the EMG. And he/she and the
facility will get paid well for the test. SOP. I hope your Health Anxiety
does not have you coming back still doubting the results.

*And if/when you come back to this page (your page) like Affected posted
below reading old threads will not help your Health Anxiety.

Last edited:
Let us know the EMG results, but hours later you are still here on the site. You've been sent for that in the hopes of stopping your high anxiety, instead you are using the wait to build it further.
Honestly, you are driving the fear to levels that don't need to be.
Log off here, work on your general well being and report back after the EMG.
I wish you the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back