Not open for further replies.

wishuponastar18

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
Hi - I apologise in advance for posting here but I'm really at my wits end and I'm not sure what to do. In the spirit of full disclosure, I suffer from health anxiety but I do realise that just because I have health anxiety doesn't mean I can't get ill. Female, 32. Had a normal neurological exam in December in the context of getting chronic headaches. Only thing that was flagged was bilateral brisk reflexes. Doctor didn't really look at my hands as I had come in with a headache issue.

I have had twitching for a while now but from reading the stickys at the top of this page I am somewhat reassured that these are benign. What I would like your guidance on is the stiffness of my fingers on my left hand. I've read a lot about stiffness being one of the first symptoms of ALS so I'm not sure if I need to go to the doctor. I don't think I have any clinical weakness, I feel like my left thenar muscle is slightly smaller than the right but my husband can't notice the difference. I can still do things like do up buttons and turn keys etc, my fingers just feel really stiff. Like the muscles are pulling as they are tight. Does this sounds like something I should be concerned about in the context of ALS?

And once again, I really am sorry for posting this when I know so many of you are going through so much. I will whole heartedly take any advice you may give me. Many thanks in advance.

Hi there! It really doesn’t sound like the traditional beginnings of ALS. If you’re really concerned that you’re not feeling right, I would go back to your primary care physician and discuss it with them. There’s no one here that’ll be able to help you determine one way or the other what you have going on. Your doctor is your best bet to helping you feel better. Your feelings and worry are valid. Hopefully, your doctor can help put your mind at ease or can help get to the bottom of your symptoms. Best of luck to you! Feel free to come back after you’ve visited your doctor about your concerns and update us ❤️

It doesn't sound like ALS to me, either. Can you keep working with your primary care doctor, especially with anxiety. Also, try doing some light stretches a few times a day and get some exercise in the form of walking.

Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back