Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
OH
City
Cincinnati
First, let me preface this by saying I am 100% a hypochondriac. I constantly think something is wrong with me and even if someone says something jokingly to me (which is how this whole ALS suspicion started) I freak out about it. To be honest, I haven't seen my doctor about these issues yet as I'm usually complaining about other things, and while I know that's what my next steps should be, I just came here to find out if I sound absolutely crazy or sounds like something could be wrong.

Also, I did read the "read this before posting" post that I've seen linked, specifically the part about twitching, I just want other opinions. Knowing this if you stop reading now and don't feel like responding I won't be upset.

ANYWAY! Back in April/May I started walking at the park by myself nearly every day, trying to get in better shape (I'm not in terrible shape, but I sit in front of a computer all day, rarely exercising). Shortly after this I started noticing twitching around my body. Rarely in the same spot, would move from arms to legs, wouldn't be every day, and would vary in time it lasted when it started. There was a string of about two weeks where I felt what I can only describe as a buzzing in the top of my right leg, this lasted for a few days, then it moved down to my hamstring, day later it was in my calf, day later in my ankle and finally in my toes. Then it just...disappeared.

I stopped going to the park in late July/August as I was having some lower back pain and thought maybe the two would be related (pinched nerve, perhaps). The back pain went away but the random twitching continued. The buzzing in my foot came back a few days ago. The first day it was noticeable all day, every 5-20 seconds usually for about a second each time. Yesterday it happened in the morning but didn't notice it the rest of the day. Today it's happened a since I woke up (with some brief pauses in between but mostly noticeable). There has also been some odd spasming around my knee on the same leg. I'll feel the muscle move and then anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute after I'll feel it move again, almost like moving back in to place or something.

Normally I wouldn't think anything of these things, but like I said, being a hypochondriac, when I started having the twitching issues someone threw out (as a joke) "Sounds like you have ALS".

Some additional info about me:

• I am a 32 about to be 33 year old male.
  • My sleep schedule can be described as pretty much non-existant, I've had trouble sleeping for a very long time, I'd say since early 2018 I haven't been able to stay asleep at night. I usually fall asleep anywhere between 1-3am and wake up every 30-45 minutes until finally getting out of bed around 9.
  • I'm constantly worrying about something being wrong with me.
  • A few months before I started walking I had this issue a few times where I would be holding something and could tell my one arm was going to go limp and couldn't stop it from doing so. I attributed that to the diet I was trying at the time and my body not being used to the drastic change in calorie intake. (I didn't ease into the diet and cut my calories in more than half to below 1400)
  • The buzzing and spasms mostly stop if I touch/grab the affected area. Sometimes they will return when I let go, other times they will not. The buzzing/vibrating in my feet though doesn't really seem to care if I touch it.
  • The vibrations I cannot see, the spasms I can see and feel.

I'm not going to argue with anyone on here. I just want reassurance that it either sounds like nothing or yea maybe I should stop messing around and just make a doctors appointment sooner rather than later. I am prepared to try to get some kind of anti-anxiety meds (I've been on a few before, but haven't stuck with them).

If you read this whole thing, thank you. If I sound crazy, I'm sorry for wasting your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Asked and answered. If these worries trouble you, see a doc to (1) be reassured and (2) consider meds, counseling, different forms of physical activity that might help you focus less on your health.

And of course stay away from whoever brought up ALS. It's not a joke. But you don't have it.

Best,
Laurie

You answered your own question in the first sentence. You do not have ALS. But it does seem you have MAJOR anxiety issues that are affecting you in really unhealthy ways. Get yourself to a doctor pronto because not sleeping for a year can really mess you up.

So there you are. You now have a condition to focus your health anxiety on.
Vincent

Thanks to both of you and sorry if I've wasted your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back