Diagnosis
07/2017
Country
DE
State
BW
City
Stuttgart
My PALS a mask that just covers nose and mouth will give him a pressure sore on the bridge of his nose if he wears it too long.

So he wears a full-face mask almost all the time. That only works without his glasses. He has a humidifier on his bipap or his mouth would become a near desert. So the mask fogges over heavily. I sometimes tap the plastic to see if there's still anybody in there (cue Pink Floyd's Comfortable Numb).

For some reason he's not too fond of contact lenses anymore, that would at least improve one aspect of his blurred existence.

Has anyone tried antifog spray for swim goggles on a breathing mask before?

I don't use a full mask, but if he is wanting to move back to an over the nose mask, at least part time, there are pads to help with the bridge of the nose. I use a gel pad called Gecko pad and it works well and I wear it over night. They can get a little pricey every few months, you can find them on Amazon or maybe get them from your bipap supplier. That is how we get them, except that we purchased some when they were out short term.

Hope this helps.

I would not use chemicals on a mask. But have you tried the Circadiance nasal mask? You can get around the bridge thing. Also, there is the Respironics mask that goes around the perimeter of the face. Bottom line, there should be an option that allows him to use his glasses, which my husband also had.

The thing about fog is, if the humidity, room temp (and on ResMed machines, you can set temp/humidification separately, which is nice) is set right, there should not be fog.

I've read about the Gecko nasal pads here before and maybe I'll order one. Our bipap supplier recommended we use a scar patch (Cica Care) made of silicone gel that we cut into shape (quite similar to the Gecko pad) to protect the bridge of his nose. With this he can wear the mask 2-4 hours each day. His nose is quite characteristic, that might add above average pressure. ;)

A pure nasal mask is sadly no longer an option, he lacks the strength to keep the lips sealed.
Is that the Respironics PerforMax full face mask? That would be the very comfortable fish tank he's currently living in. Or is there another one that's even bigger? I crack jokes about space suits at lot these days...

I thought about the difference in temperarture as the main problem and the only thing I came up with was a mask striped with heating wires like the rear windows of cars.
We have a small external humidifier between bipap and mask, a little water container on top of a warm plate, no fine adjustments possible. I'll try to turn the heat down a notch and see if he can deal with a little less.

Respironics has a couple that cover the mouth and also incorporate the nose into the top. You can wear glasses with both. The first is called DreamWear Full face mask. The DreamWear has a unique way to delivery the air, the hose connects on top of the head and then comes along the cheeks to the mask. I do not know the name of the other mask but it almost looks like a half mask since it does not cover the nose.

Hope that helps.

The Respironics one I was thinking of is no longer made, but definitely alternatives.

Wish, Circadiance also makes a nose+mouth mask -- worth trying. Just rotating is good. Larry used the Respironic Total Face Mask it sounds like your BF has but over time he became able to keep his mouth closed (and he had a deviated septum), so it's worth monitoring. Then he switched to the nasal-only mask. Agree with avoiding nose bridge pressure ones.

I talked to our bipap supplier and he'll send us a mask covering mouth and nose with a soft gel pad from a company called Weinmann. Let's see how that works.
If it's not perfect it'll at last be one more option to rotate.

I also sent him the link to the Respironics full-face mask, it looks like just the right thing. Didn't find the Circadiance on a German site. Availability might be an issue here. If the one being sent doesn't work out I'll consider mailordering something and pay out-of-pocket. Quality of life is really affected by this.

Thank you so much for your input!

Darcey uses a Trilogy with a separate humidifier. Early on we had monster problems with condensation. After jumping through all kinds of hoops and adding in gadgets, we finally came upon the solution that works year round for us. As long as we keep the humidifier's temperature setting BELOW 2, we no longer have condensation issues. Works spring, summer, fall and winter. I hope that what works well for you is discovered more quickly than our was!

My best...

Jim

Suggestion

Love my nasal pillows.
Perhaps:

Keep lips closed with tape or chin strap.
Or fill the mouth with a sports teeth protector.

OR
There's too much moisture being fed to him. Reduce it. Has to be adjusted as the weather changes.

Chin strap didn't do much. It's really the muscles of or around the lips, they just keep a-flappin' in the breeze.
I suggested closing his lips like a silicone joint. I did not get a laugh. :roll:

The textile nasal pillow masks were a missed chance, heard only good things but heard them too late. Well, it would only have been for a month or so anyway.

Turning the moisture down makes him unhappy. Tried it just an increment and get called on it.

Don't tell my wife about the silicone, now that I don't eat, she might like that idea sometimes.

Not a word, Waldo. Cruelty of the suggestion depends on if you still speak. ;)

I use a Tobii for most of my talking, but I can get my point across when I feel a need. That is when she would like the silicone.

:D
Silicone might also work to seal her ears shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back