Diagnosis
11/2015
Country
CA
State
Nova Scotia
City
Dartmouth
I have read that antibiotics such as Cipro and Levofloxacin can cause joint and muscle problems such as tearing of tendons. My concern, could it in fact accelerate muscle breakdown in ALS? I developed an infection under the skin in my G Tube, and the doctor wanted to give me Cipro via IV. I brought up my concern and he gave me Cephalexin (Keflex) instead. Many ER doctors here like to prescribe Cipro as first choice for antibiotics where I live. Anyone else have similar concerns about antibiotic choice?

Cipro and other quinolone antibiotics can cause tendon weakness and rupture. However, it would be highly unlikely for these antibiotics to affect motor neurons or muscles. Keflex would be first line for skin infections and Cipro would be second line. Cipro is also very effective for urinary and sinus infections, but also second line, mainly for people allergic to sulfa antibiotics. Despite some rate but potentially serious side effects, it is a relatively safe and well-tolerated medication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back