Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
UT
City
taylorsville
I am curious about what anti anxiety meds you guys take. I am recently diagnosed, and on a low dose of Prozac, which will be doubled in two weeks. I don't think the Prozac is working very well, I find myself yawning all day long and not getting anything done.
I have read that Zoloft helps with saliva decrease as well? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am on a low dose of amitriptyline at night also.

Hi!
I have been on pretty much every antidepressant out there. I was on Paxil and am now on 40 mg of Prozac. Plus, due to being bipolar I have to also take the mood stabilizer called Lamictal. None of these make me tired at all. In fact in the last couple weeks I have been having insomnia. Each person's body chemistry is so different that what works for one person will cause a bad side affect for someone else. Unfortunately, its a trial and error process. It does take at least two weeks to a month for your body to adjust to the meds. You didn't say how long you've been on it. But, if you are really that tired and have no energy I would ask your doc not to increase it yet. Report any weird or unusual symptoms you might have. Hair falling out or anything. I was on a medicine called Abilify and it caused a very dangerous side affect for me called tardive dyknesia though it works wonders for other people. It gave me stroke like symptoms. Luckily, I had reported it to the dr. who immediately took me off it. He said it could of caused irreversible paralysis. Don't mean to scare you but please be careful. Kim

Hi Mark,
my PALS is on amitriptyline. He says it isn't doing anything much for him, but as his wife and CALS I can tell you it has helped him a lot.

I'm on Zoloft and it is keeping my head above water.

Neither of us are showing any side effects either.

sorry I posted then realised I forgot something.

Often you will find yourself quite sleepy when you first start them. We always take ours at night and I'm sure we both sleep far better for it.

You do need to be on them at least a month as often some of these reactions do settle after 2 - 3 weeks. If you are taking them of a morning, switch to night time and see if that helps.

There are lots of different types of anti depressants, so if the one you are on is not working well in your system by 4 weeks, go back to your doctor and discuss trying another type.

Remember then also that you are in the awful early fog of recent diagnosis, so you are going to be very up and down in so many ways. That does also, for most people, settle to some degree after a month or 2.

Be kind to yourself and those caring for you, and there will be more light to come.

My husband takes Ativan (Lorzepam) Sadly, I don't know of any meds that won't make you sleepy but Ativan seems to be effective

I am on an antidepressant, Cipralex, and anxiety before bed, Trazodone. Have worked great for me.

Mark,

I yawn due to bulbar involvement, I think. Sometimes the yawns are incessant. Quite annoying. But, I read that Prozac's list of common side effects ( 1-10%) does include yawning.

I am on Wellbutrin - in addition to mood elevation, there's an energizing component. Works well enough for me.

I've been detoxing from mertazopean over the past 4 weeks and its been total hell. Lots of anxiety and depression particularly at night time.

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES...... I am kind of new to all of this and realize that pretty much everything has already been discussed a million times on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back