00/0000
Country
US
State
NE
City
Omaha
Hi all,

My symptoms began about two months ago in my left hand/forearm. They both had a weak feeling and I began to use google to see what it could be. ALS appeared and of course it got worse. My symptoms lasted for a couple of days on my left side. A few days later I woke up and my right hand was weak. I felt as if I could not grip anything and it was very stiff. I decided to reach out to my GP and have him take a look.

As the days went on before my appointment my right hand and arm continued to get worse and worse. Not only did I have weakness but I started to develop twitching and jerks in my hand and arm. I’ve always had twitches all over my body due to anxiety and stress but never had them in one area.

The day finally came to visit my doctor and he did a neurological exam and tested everything from my head to my feet. He sat me down and told me I had no weakness or atrophy whatsoever. I suffer from health anxiety so he decided to put me on Zoloft (anti depressants) and said I should see these symptoms disappear or at least start to in two weeks as the medicine begins to work.

My mind put ALS on the back burner as I realized my strength was still truly there and I wasn’t dealing with any true weakness. I wear a suit and tie everyday to work and can still tie a perfect knot in a tie and never have any problems buttoning my dress shirt unless I’m really thinking about it. I’ve read the main page and done the stand on my toes and heels, and never failed. The zip lock bag is still opened and closed with ease as well.

So I began taking the Zoloft and my anxiety got a little better and my mind didn’t race as much and I started to gain weight which I haven’t been able to do for a while because of anxiety. Then, I woke up one day and my left arm and hand were back to the weak feeling. Both hands now had weak feeling in them and my forearms were burning. The twitching got worse and the jerks were strong in my thumbs and hands. I was carrying groceries one day and afterwards my left hand was shaking like crazy.

I worry that this is ALS but my doctor isn’t taking me seriously enough because of health anxiety. But I also trust my doctor that if he sees anything he would require more testing.

my true symptoms are as follows:
Weak feeling in hands and forearms
Burning in forearms
Pain in thumb muscle
Twitching and jerking in hands and arms
Heavy feeling in the morning and at night
Fatigue and clumsiness in hands in the morning

I know als doesn’t affect both sides at once but this is very strange that it hasn’t gotten better. I hope this finds everyone well. When I’m feeling down about ALS I typically read the main page and realize that I’m probbaly in my head. I’m 27 so I know it’s rare but it happens, so that’s why I’m here. Thank you all

Antidepressants take a couple of months to work and not every one works for every person. None of the SSRIs worked for me. They made me more anxious and I lost weight. Remeron turned it around for me. This was long before ALS.

Work with your doctor.

Does this sound like ALS or something else? Thanks for the response, Kim!

Hello- I am hoping you've read the Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms post. It has all the basics and covers twitching, pain, sensory issues, etc. Please make sure to read it through carefully to understand why your symptoms point away from how ALS presents itself. It's there so folks here don't have to keep reassuring people who come here because they searched "twitching". Dr Google is the worst for creating alarm where there is no need for it.

You may need to speak with your doctor about med adjustment and potential need for counseling to go along with it, as well maybe look at physio to see if there are some stretches and exercises to can do to help mitigate muscle pain and tension.

Thank you for the response. I have begun counseling as of last week. I read the main page over-and-over to clarify that I do not truly have the disease. The twitching only worries me as it has mainly only been happening in my arms and hands and eye lid on the left side. My arms go back and forth with the weak feeling. I know this wouldn’t happen if I had ALS as it effects one side at a time but didn’t know how other people were affected by this. I find it odd that my doctor won’t run anymore tests on me to see what could be going on but I also know he tested my strength and it was normal

I’m not trying to be a pest or bring up symptoms as they come and go. I just have general questions. My right hand is the worst. Is the stiffness and weak feeling a cause for concern? My wrist feels weak and I saw someone post on here that it was a symptom their parent first had when diagnosed. My right hand just feels useless and it worries me.

I'm sorry you are having these worries. Did you read the sticky at the top of the sub-forum? If you did, you know your symptoms do not align with this disease. You say your right hand "feels" useless? So, if it feels useless, I'm assuming you need help getting dressed and toileting? Because in ALS, if your hand is useless, you need help with both those things. If you do not need help getting dressed and toileting, your hand is fine.

You don't have ALS. Be glad for it. Any general medical questions should be addressed with your doc.

Good luck to you and stay safe.

I really appreciate the response! I read the sticky note quite often but always tel myself that it could still be als. I can dress myself everyday and use the restroom on my own. I do have troubles writing and feel like I can’t get a good grip on it (pen) and I also have troubles gripping a mouse on the computer. I hate thinking I have something wrong but have never had this feelkng

I think this thread has reached its natural conclusion. Please continue to speak with your doctor if you have further questions about your general health and also continue working with a counselor. While the folk here are very sympathetic, this forum is for those diagnosed with ALS and their caregivers. For folk who are worried about ALS, despite not showing the pattern of symptoms that indicates it, engaging here will only add to anxiety. I will be closing this thread. Please do not open another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back