Diagnosis
01/2018
Country
US
State
Idaho
City
Leadore
Just received a written report of the EMG I had taken in late January. At that visit I was told that I was diagnosed with PBP. The report, however, says that although I was referred for a question of motor neuron disease, the EMG/NCS findings fall far short of electrical criteria for MND. says cannot absolutely exclude anterior horn c ll disorder in early stages. Further, the EMG shows only “mod red”of the left tongue muscle. Normal on all the rest. What would lead the doctor to believe it is PBP.

I guess it’s possible I don’t understand the EMG report. I had thought from other replies that the Emg would define the diagnosis

The wording “cannot absolutely exclude anterior horn cell disorder” is just doctor talk for saying that a motor neuron disease is a possibility. Since diagnosing a specific motor neuron disease requires meeting a number of clinical criteria with EMG being just one of these, the doctor reading the EMG results usually will not diagnose ALS or other MND exclusively from the EMG alone. Sometimes they’ll also use language such as “clinical correlation advised”.

If the Emg was good, I just wonder why I was diagnosed with progressive bulbar palsy. Unless it was just because of the notes regarding my left side of tongue. I guess I can understand the note on the EMG more than a definite diagnosis for PBP. Too new to this to know why.i don’t know what “mod red” means.

Last edited:
PBP is a disease that affects three key nerves, and from what you describe, the EMG highlighted that at least one of them is damaged, without evidence of damage to other nerves. So that, coupled with your history and symptoms, would be the key evidence for any PBP dx. "Mod red" means "moderately reduced."

That gives me a little more information...thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back