04/2008
Country
US
State
TN
City
Thompsons Station
Hello All,

I am a proud Texan married to a wonderful Cajun in the USA. To give you a little background...

My husband (Cajun) was finally diagnosed 4/3/08 with ALS. He had symptoms last year when he started dropping things while working for FedEX Home Delivery. In May 07, he went to our family doctor and he said that he was getting old. I didn't think at the time that 55 was old but we let it go. He quit FedEX and went to work as a CSR and has since left. He can no longer work.

In January, 08, he dropped a pot of hot boiling water and it went all over his feet (3rd degree burns). I took him back to our family doctor in Feb., 08 and he saw muscle loss in his hands and referred us a neurologist. The neurologist ran a few tests and referred us to another neurologist at Vanderbilt to have a muscle biopsy. I begged this neurologist to see my Cajun sooner than May 31st and he did (thank God). He ran tests and no biopsy is no longer needed.

He has extensive muscle loss in both arms. He can speak but the disease has affected this as well (talks above a whisper).

He is getting on Rilutek which is being shipped to us Tuesday. He is taking vitamins and drinking creatine, as well as drinking protein shakes.

We are now here, learning about ALS and seeking out support.

Thanks for listening,
Aleta, wife to Charlie

Thanks for letting us get to know you and Charlie, Aleta. I hope we can help each other dealing with life's ups and downs.
AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back