Status
Not open for further replies.
Neil-

What else are you doing to pursue answers? Are you making medical appointments? I am sure you understand that while you can post all sorts of things on a forum, it nets you zero actual help with your symptoms. As Karen states, there is no need to hang around on this forum. There is literally nothing strangers on the internet can do for you if you are having a health crisis. This is not a general medical advice forum. You must visit with a doctor.

I will ask you to limit your posting till after you see a doctor. While the folks here try to help, there is nothing for you on this forum, as you are not showing a normal pattern of ALS symptoms. Seek medical help from an doctor in person. Further posting here would be unhelpful for you and burdensome for the members who have already answered you and who you do not believe.

Hi. I went to see my doctor on October 20th as regards the foot drop, who then referred my to neurology on November 7th. Full blood count and vitamin checks were done prior to this appointment. I tested weakIy positive for C-ANA.
I had a physical exam at neurology where the neuro told me he didn't think it was MS or ALS, but also noted at that time that I had 'no fascilations' which I clearly do now.

He diagnosed foot drop, probably from sitting incorrectly and called it 'isolated nerve damage'. He did however want me to have a brain MRI (after initially saying it would be an EMG which I wish he had gone through with) which I had on November 16th. This was clear apart from some small white lesions on my temporal lobe. Which is a concern. I am now awaiting an appointment for a spinal MRI and a lumbar puncture. Even though both the neuro and my GP say it's 99% not MS. I am not due to see the neuro again until February and cannot get an earlier appointment.

In the meantime, my foot drop finally fixed itself and I thought that I could finally rule out ALS and even posted here to say so. But during this time, the muscle twitching (which started just after the foot dropped) has been getting progressively worse to the point where I can't even try to stop it there is so much going on. The body jerks have become more frequent and aggressive. Sleep has become very difficult. I also have a strange pain on the arch of both my feet. And then recently I had the issues with my thighs feeling a bit stiff and weak and then getting this unbelievable surge of weakness, so weak it was actually painful and I was having difficulty standing and walking for more than a few seconds. This is not a repeat symptom, but something I have not experienced on this journey before or ever in my life. They are still burning today and get tired after even the briefest of pressure.

I actually have booked an appointment with my GP today, but she keeps hiding behind the scans. Always wanting to wait for scan results despite 99% ruling out what the scan is looking for. I can't get her to focus on the here and now and so this is why I have felt compelled to post here. Along with wasting money on just answer. I don't feel like I have other options. Medically I have done everything I possibly can to seek answers. I am considering going along to the emergency ward and just basically admitting myself to hospital, that's how desperate I have become.

I am sorry if I have upset or offended anyone. It's not that I don't believe anybody, I really want to believe, there is just so much going on that I feel like I want to make sure those in the know have the full picture. I would like to put it on record that I have an incredible amount of admiration and respect for those who are kind enough to help others.

I will let you know if anything of note occurs at this appointment today but I have my lingering doubts. I am pleased that nobody here seems to see any ALS concerns at all and hopefully my GP will say the same. I will ask her and can post what she says this afternoon.

So just back from my appointment. 'As I was' would be the term used, no answers or possible explanations given for the pain in the arch of my feet or the thighs. Actually that's a lie, she said it could be a Thyroid or B12 problem before realising this had already been checked.

As for ALS, she was non-commital, advising that she 'didn't think it was' but only because it's a rare disease. Not through clinical data or symptom checks or anything medically. She has not once ever even looked at the muscle twitches nor tested for weakness in any of the areas I have identified.

Worryingly, she said that the foot drop could have fixed itself even if ALS was involved, before I reminded her that she had previously said this would not be possible. She then changed the answer to 'perhaps not a full recovery', before going on to say that symptoms can 'come and go a bit' in the early stages which contradicts everything I have read here. Worryingly, the just answer physician also said the same thing.

She also said that muscle twitching is a sign of concern for ALS and agreed that it was concerning when lots of other potential causes are being gradually ruled out whilst this monster lurches in the background. In her eyes, ALS remains a possibility. Still in absolute limbo.

You were told by a neurologist who examined you ( and I think you even had foot drop then?) that you did not need to worry about ALS.

You are freaking out over what you were told by some online doctor of unknown qualifications who gave you what we believe to be misinformation.

Your gp is not a neurologist and if she is concerned then she should be consulting the neurologist. It is true symptoms can get a little worse or better but it is more that when a PALS is tired or stressed symptoms get worse. Not regaining a completely lost function

Ask for another neuro visit if you are concerned

Hi Nikki. Thanks for your response.
Yes I did have foot drop at the time when he saw me and he said he thought it was isolated nerve damage.

And yes, I have a follow up neuro appointment in February, with spine MRI and lumbar puncture sometime before then. I hope anyway, still not got the appointment date for this.

Neil- We look forward to hearing your report after you visit this next doctor in February.

Hi everybody. It's been over 4 weeks since I last posted and have refrained from doing so as requested, however there have been a number of developments, so I've really felt the need to post my update. Not a day has passed where I have not thought about posting.

I'm now off work with this. The last time I posted just before Xmas, I had begun to feel weakness in both my thighs. 3 weeks on and that feeling is the same, though now it just feels like both my whole legs. Sometimes I really do feel like my legs will buckle from under me, though this has not happened yet. In addition to this, my right arm has gone the same way, particularly so at the shoulder and it gets tired so easily, just from even writing this message. Apart from when I had foot drop, I haven't had any instances yet where I've not been able to do anything no matter how hard I try, but I do feel as if everything is setup for that to happen next.

I also had an incident where I did collapse in the bathroom with really bad dizziness and vertigo. Turns out I had the Australian flu but I still feel very dizzy despite this virus clearing up. I have permanent tinnitus as well as an ear full of wax but had antibiotics for the flu so this should have killed any ear infection too. So dizziness is the latest addition to my symptoms and it just won't go away. Though I will say that it is mild. But noticeable.

The pain and discomfort in the arches of both feet has also continued and I've had that for 2 months now. The muscles quite often contract in that area too, more so at rest. Again, it's fairly mild but it's something that has cropped up just after the foot drop.

I went to the hospital after I collapsed and the doctor did a physical exam. She said everything was normal, describing my reflexes as 'brisk throughout' but still well within normal range. I told her about my MND concerns and she checked for weakness in my arms and legs and could not find any. She says she would not expect the kind of normal physical exam results from someone suffering from MND.

However, there definitely seems to be something going on. I know when my body is not right. I am still having very aggressive body/limb jerks, usually in legs, though recently this has improved since I was given anti anxiety/anti-depressant medication.

All possible blood tests have been done and all returned normal results. My brain MRI was clear apart from some lesions on my temporal lobe which means it's unlikely to be MS. I had my full spine MRI done on 10th Jan so that may end up ruling out MS completely. I saw from my GP notes that all the reflex tests that my neuro had done were negative. I couldn't actually see what they all were but 1 of them was a negative Hoffman test which is obviously positive news. My reflexes have always been within normal range though they are now described as 'brisk throughout'. I have been keeping a close eye every time somebody checks my reflexes and to my eyes at least, they have always been the same. I was told by a GP that it could not be neurological without any noticeable reflex abnormalities. Can't say that I've read or seen this anywhere else though.

I am just very worried about my arms and legs, my legs in particular. I have had some nights where my right thigh is so stiff it feels like I am lying on concrete and actually couldn't even lie on my right side for a couple of nights. One morning I had this really scary moment when I woke up and went to bring my legs towards me and they didn't respond for about 1 second. It felt so weird when they did eventually bend as it has took so long to respond to the instruction that it felt like they were moving themselves. I definitely feel they are weaker when I've been using them more. I have read that phases of weakness like this is how ALS begins. However, I do accept that It does seem unusual for foot drop to clear up 100% for someone suffering from this. And it has cleared up 100%, there is no difference between my right and left foot now. 3 months ago I could only move my toes in my right foot.

So I just wanted to ask if anyone feels that any or all of this warrants any additional concerns for ALS? I just seem to be running out of alternative causes and this is just lurching in the background. I am due back to visit the neuro on 8th Feb, so I promise I will keep posting to a minimum but if I could get your opinions on these latest developments then I would be very, very grateful. I should also have my spine MRI results back in a week or 2 which may throw something up. Sorry for the long post but I've got on a roll and just wanted to put everything down. Thank you in advance. Neil

It has not been a month since you've posted, it's been three weeks. Your symptoms are not ALS related...for the 10th time. Please post AFTER your Neuro appointment in Feb.

Neil,

In the meantime, while you're waiting for an expert opinion, try giving up all forms of caffeine, all added sugar, and all processed food. Add some magnesium supplement and see if that might help the twitches. I know you can't control the stress but you can get medication that will help from your GP until after your neuro appointment.

I understand how hard it is to not know what's going on with your body. I'm sorry you're going through all this. Just because it isn't ALS doesn't mean it's nothing. Hopefully, it'll be something that can be treated and resolved.

Good luck in February. Please come back after the appointment and let us know.

Please, wait until you have been examined and cleared by a neurologist and then just post to let us know. I'm so sorry you are in such a state and I know you are very scared, I get it.

But this is an ALS forum, and you don't have a single symptom, no matter what you post or how you try to describe it.

All the very best.

Okay, thank you for your responses. The unequivocal answers give me great reassurance as obviously you guys know a great deal more than me about this. I will post my spine MRI results if anything turns up, otherwise I will wait until February before posting again. Thanks again. Neil

Hi folks. Just an update.
Got my spine scan results today. Like the brain MRI, there is some kind of abnormality but I couldn't really make head nor tail of it over the phone. Whatever it is, she says it's seen in around 2 out of every 10 scan results and does not amount to anything. Not overly reassured by that particular statistic.

It was the consultant neurologist this time, the one I am due to see on 8th Feb. She said there are 'no lesions, no MS, no demyelination, no tumours, nothing to worry about'. But I also know that brain/spine MRI scans do not rule out MND though they can sometimes throw up some warning signs and can often be used by a neuro when s/he is attempting to prove a diagnosis.

I asked her about MND and she said 'you don't have motor neurone disease' before going on to say that this was because my symptoms are 'sensory'. I have seen other posters here use this term before but I am not sure exactly what she means by that. I always thought this term referred to 'feelings' rather than real weakness or whatever. Can anyone advise on that? I'm not entirely sure how a foot drop where my foot is completely out of action can be described as 'sensory'? Unless I have misunderstood the term?

Anyway, she then said that my symptoms in terms of the foot drop all pointed towards what she referred to as 'common peroneal nerve palsy' and that I 'absolutely have nothing to worry about'.

I am obviously really happy to hear this but I am not getting too celebratory just yet. That's an abnormality in both the brain and the spine now. Plus this neuro has not examined me personally yet, nor does she know about some of the symptoms that I have experienced since my neuro appointment in November.

But still... It's positive news and I'll take that right now. Neil

Hi folks. Just back from my appointment with the consultant neuro this afternoon.

Just want to say thanks for your patience and putting up with me. She said I had a completely normal neurological presentation and attributed most of my symptoms to health anxiety.

She 100% ruled out MND, confirming that nothing caused by MND has ever ‘reversed itself’, particularly relevant in the case of my foot drop. She had her head in her hands when I told her my GP had said this is possible in the ‘early stages’.

She also confirmed something else that you guys tirelessly repeat on here, that there is nothing ‘sensory’ about MND presentation. No numbness, tingling, pins and needles etc.

I will now try to forget about MND and start living a life again.

Thanks again and I so hope that 1 day they find a cure for the condition. Neil x

Thank you for coming back and reporting both your results and the neurologist’s confirmation of our answers about sensory symptoms and reversal of function loss.

I am so happy for you and hope you have a very long and happy life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back