Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
South
City
The Beach
After a lengthy trial with the first medical supply company for my BiPAP, I ended up sending it back. The RT was so annoyed at the "machine" and "ALS" that she just couldn't work with me. Laurie ended up helping me with the proper settings but either my doctor or the medical company didn't submit the claim properly and Medicare denied the claim.

Last month we had a great presentation from Millennium Respiratory Services. He demonstrated a Trilogy and a cough assist device. I spoke with him during and after the meeting and he assured me he worked with the big ALS clinics here in Florida as well as local neurologists. He was smart and we clicked. He said he would send a local rep to to an in home eval. and would set it up with my neuro. This was accomplished in less than a week. The guy came yesterday.

He did a series of tests. He kept complaining that they had given him new equipment and not enough supplies. Every time I did a test, he repeated it on himself and compared our numbers. He was morbidly obese so it didn't surprise me his numbers were not that great. I found it funny that some of his numbers matched mine identically. I questioned it. After he left I just knew something was wrong.

He called later and said one of the machines was not turned on during the test and he had to come back. He did and I re-did the test.

Honestly, I'm not convinced that he knew how to operate anything correctly. I guess it really doesn't matter one way or another right now. If I get approved, that'll be that. If not I'll have to take it up to the next level and ask for another evaluation.

Good thing we have Laurie, huh? So thankful that she volunteers her knowledge. Thanks Laurie!

Kim the mind just boggles ...

This seems to me it should be actionable in some way. These are people whose medical and technical expertise is supposed to extend and save lives. They are hired by associations/companies who are contracted to provide respiratory care. They are adding to an already heavy health burden if they do something wrong. Surely they should be held to some sort of association standard?

Also, I keep hearing the Benny Hill soundtrack in my mind when I read these reports. I'd really prefer "capable" to "bumbling" in reference to respiratory therapists. Kim, I'd be raging.

Kim, you are such a patient person!

You've so much on your plate, esp managing your pain, without having to deal w/ such incompetence. These machines MUST BE properly calibrated.

3 cheers for Laurie!!

Ells.

Kim, we had a very difficult time with the respiratory therapists sent to us from the company that supplied the Trilogy, which I have described previously on the forums. Frank was coughing almost constantly on the machine and he was ready to give up on it. The RT said that this was normal with ALS. The humidifier reservoir would be completely dry after 3 hours use on the lowest setting. The RT said my house was too dry since it was winter and the heat was on. If not for Laurie's help adjusting the settings and for the replies of people on this forum saying there was something wrong with the humidifier, Frank would have stopped using the Trilogy.

I think your instincts are right- that this guy did not know what he was doing. At this point, just try to get Medicare approval. Once you get the Trilogy, Laurie can help you more than anyone.

Sharon

Sharon, I do remember reading about Frank's situation and feeling so bad about it.

Ells, THREE CHEERS FOR LAURIE, INDEED!!!!!

I can't say enough good things about ALL our monitors but there is a very special place in my heart for those who have lost loved ones to ALS and still stick with us. I wish them the very best this world has to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back