Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NY
City
east patchogue
I dont know exactly whats happening with me but anyone with any ideas please let me know. I was driving one day and my ab muscles started twitching to the point I thought I was having a heart attack but no pain. For the next month the twitching continued on and off but moved to just under the left ribcage -- feels like an alien trying to get out. Can start at any time but did start immediately after a hard sneeze once. If I push the heel of my hand hard under the ribs it stops after a minute and does not come back sometimes for hours. Now the fluttering is all across the mid abs and is more constant. If I flex the muscle it will stop but restart when relaxed. What worried me and made me look here is that I had the tricep muscle and biscep also start twitching. Had xray and sonogram but nothing there. I dont have any fatigue or weakness but start tripping on things a couple months ago -- I remember saying "how did I just trip on that?" What I tripped on was not a carpet for example but items 12" or higher which I normally would traverse with no problem. I know I know another paranoid guy but any time spent with ideas is very appreciated. Kenny

> I know I know another paranoid guy but any time spent with ideas is very appreciated. Kenny

a good start is a doc, not google.

It doesn't sound anything remotely like ALS symptoms to me at all. Did you read all the stickies completely. What do your doctor's think is going on? Your symptoms jump all over the place so I don't know what to think. I thought maybe a hernia? But, then that wouldn't explain the tripping. You need someone more qualifed then us to figure this one out. Good luck finding your answers elsewhere. It's not a ALS issue.

Now twitching is constent in abs. Also in calf, eye and biscep. Trying to get appt with Neuro. Still no weakness but Ive seen where some people have had twitching first. And yes I read the stickies. Just makes me nervous which Im sure is making it all worse.

Hi -- ALS/MND is a scary disease to consider/fear. We empathize. This note is not to deter you from your investigations, but just so thoughts on how we can help each other ...

Here are some first considerations that may help:

#1 - Read the STICKIES at the top of this forum. Many questions are answered there. 99% of new questions are addressed.

#2 We are not doctors or diagnosticians, but people who are dying from or caring for people with ALS. Some of us have to type with one hand, one finger, via dictation, or even with our eyes, so reading/replying to the anxiety-ridden can be very tiring.

#3 if you think you have a motor neuron issue, see your Primary Care Provider and get a referral to a motor neuron qualified neuro, note: most are NOT ALS/MND (Motor Neuron Disease) experienced!

#4 an EMG, properly done, is the gold standard test for ALS. But also, an abnormal EMG can indicate HUNDREDS of other, non-fatal, diseases. So listen to your doctor.

#5 ALS does NOT present with pain, cramps, or fatigue. In ALS, you feel perfectly normal but your muscles simply won't work. Typically, the first sign of ALS is a foot or a hand that inexplicably just won't lift up. It doesn't hurt or feel weak, it just is limp. That is paralysis.

#6 ALS is about failing, not feeling, so forget the "feeling" symptoms

#7 If your main issue is twitching go to the bfs forum. If you have weird neuro symptoms try neurotalk. There are also forums for health anxiety.

#8 Your doctor is wise to look at other diseases. ALS is rare. In order for it to be ALS, it has to be nothing else.

#9 Many of us cough/gag/choke and/or can no longer speak. It is difficult to have anxious people constantly chasing this disease, when we can't escape it. There seems to be this cult of ALS wannabees/groupies. You don't want to fall into that bucket do you?

#10 Anxiety can be a real problem that can endanger your physical health. It is what leads many folks here to this forum -- it is a self-fueling fire. Try to avoid using google and/or this forum if you can -- if you cannot stay away and off this forum it should tell you something important!

Lastly, if you are still interested, go to alsa dot org or mda dot org ...

We sincerely hope you do not need to be here! But find out first. If you do need to be here let me say "Welcome, sorry you are here!"

-----
Max - Monday, August 18, 2014 12:03:01 PM
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back