06/2008
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Jose
Hi everyone,

I'm glad I found this forum as I have been browsing and have found some good info.

My father who is 70 was diagnosed a week ago with ALS. While we were not told if he had bulbar onset, I would say that has been the most obvious symptom, hard for him to talk and some slurred speech. However, I have also noticed he appears to be weaker in leg and hand strength, but he hasn't really said to me or doctors he feels weak.

My mother is only 64, but not in good health either, so as the disease progresses, I don't see her being a caregiver. I'm a single mom and thus realistically need to continue to work to support my daughters and parents.

My father is my world and I have been angry, sad, strong, thankful for what we have and do have now, etc. Mixed emotions to say the least. My father has been the one to take care of my mother and he does so much for me. He has been the caregiver for my oldest daughter (now 6) since she was 2 years old. He also helped me bring my newest daughter home from Russia this past December (both of my daughters are adopted from Russia). Thus he is not only a father to me and my brother, but also to my daughters.

The doctor this past Friday at the ALS center answered my question of now what do we do, said to just forget about it and we'll go back in a month. I understand his advice and am trying to and just enjoy my dad today, but it is hard sometimes. He is going to start Riluzole/Rituluk right away and then lithium in about a month.

Ok, sorry for the long introduction - but glad I found this group.
Blessings to all.
Bette

Welcome, Bette

Your father is very lucky to have a daughter like you, and I hope you have a nice Father's day with him

John

Hi Bette. Welcome and glad you found us. Hope we can help.
AL.

Hello Bette,
Sorry about your father and I know it's hard to accept this diagnosis. Your father sounds like a strong and loving man, father, and husband.
I hope you can find help and support here on the forums. Keep us posted and thanks for participating.
Jane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back