00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
City
Chicago
Hi all,

I’m sure the answer is talk to your doctor, wait for the test results, and stop freaking out. I’m mostly looking for people to tell me it could easily be things other than ALS. I started having speech issues in November of last year. They have progressively gotten worse and I am difficult to understand frequently, have slow speech, difficulty pronouncing words, etc. I also have muscle twitches. Initial consultation wit Neurologist said unlikely to be ALS (and a host of other things) and ordered MRI and swallow study. Those are coming up next week. I wasn’t that concerned about ALS. Then, I recently realized my arm muscles are twitching nonstop, certain face muscles, including my tongue which looks exactly like all those ALS tongue twitch videos. I realized I shouldn’t google symptoms and I’m not a doctor, but I’m posting on here in the hopes people can tell me diseases other than ALS can cause speech issues, twitching (including that als tongue twitch) and that I should just calm down and go through the process.

Sorry for making another is this ALS post.

lgelb

Forum Supporter
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
WA
City
Seattle
Don't look at any more twitch videos. That's not how ALS is diagnosed.

Yes, calm down and go through the process. The odds are still very much in your favor, as your doc indicated.

Best,
Laurie

wishmobbing

Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
07/2017
Country
DE
State
BW
City
Stuttgart
Please calm down and go through the process. That being said, it's not easy to calm down and I know that. I'm very much in favor of happy distractions whenever you engage in something that's interesting or fun or relaxing, it will take your mind of this. Twitching means nothing, there are many reasons for speech trouble. Really stay away from videos of people sticking their tongue in your face, that's just not helping anybody. It sounds like you're taken seriously by your doctors, so you're in good hands. No reason to try to self-diagnose.

Buglaw

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
City
Chicago
Thanks both. I was freaking myself out. This helps a lot. I’m going to stay off google.

curiousjudy

Reason
DX MND
Diagnosis
05/2020
Country
US
State
MN
City
Saint Paul
Mine was diagnosed by EMG and then gene testing. c9 gene was done with Invitae labs. Other genes were done by Labcorp. I use magnesium for twitching.

Status
Not open for further replies.