Diagnosis
02/2011
Country
US
State
GA
City
Gwinnett
Father's Day was rough because it was my first one alone since he died but now 4th of July is rolling around and everyone wants to know my plans. I guess I don't have any because I sit here alone because no one calls and I don't want to crash another family's get together. I am so sad when I come home and the machine is not blinking. My friends don't return my calls to say hello. I guess they really are not my friends after all.

It really sounds pathetic to want to cook out by myself but maybe I will.

Guess the pity party can start now before the fireworks begins.

Happy 4th of July to all of you on the Forum because I do love my country and I am so thankful and proud of my husband who served his country during the Vietnam War.

The lack of phone calls from friends (and sometimes family) is hard. About a two months ago, I just decided to start foisting myself on people, and it worked! I beat them down until they make actual plans to get together! Now, they actually think of me when they make plans sometimes! I will let myself tear over occassionally but I don't cry, and I do talk about Terry, but only in an upbeat way. Slowly, I think they are realizing that I am not the poor pathetic widow that will ruin the party!

Happy 4th of July to you. If you know of a party, just go crash it!

Well, I didn't have any plans until last wednesday when I was at the town dump and got an invite LOL - very formal around here! As far as family goes, I got the invite from the jackass last friday and my MIL only asked me to a family party this afternoon around 4:30. She was listing what everyone was bringing( so everyone else knew and planned) leaving me the option an evening of running the 20 miles to the grocery store so I don't arrive empty handed...if I go. i'm starting the day with Bailey's and coffee and see what happens from there.

I may cookout myself as well! My daughters are both working so i'm on my own. Cheers!

Thinking of you and sending big hugs across the state line! Take care!

Ruth

My husband loved the fireworks. I am thinking he is going to have a better view. I miss him everyday. I would give anything to sit on the bay and watch them with him again. Very lonely this 4th, thats nothing new these days.

Sending big hugs across the sea to my American friends on your special day. x

Hey, Peachy! I'll throw you some ribs. Hopefully they will be up to my husband's grilling standards. I'm braising them right now and will finish them up on the grill.

I think Missy hit the nail on the head with what others may be thinking:

the poor pathetic widow that will ruin the party!

Hopefully all our friends and family will realize sooner than later that we like to be included. Whether or not we participate should be left to us, also.

Happy 4th! Love to all those that have lost their pALS.

This makes my heart hurt. I dread thinking about what life will be like for my dear husband when I am gone. I think CALS have it the worst.

i dont think we get it the worst, we just get to carry it longer.

Thinking of you Evelyn. And everybody else who is now living life without their loved ones. Yasmin

Thank goodness for good friends online and otherwise. I did have friends call after all. On Wednesday, I went to our former house (non-handicapped accessible) working in the basement going through his stuff like going through a time capsule of technology - floppy disks, zip drives, Commodore computers, old IBM machines and peripheral devices. As his brother said, Scott never threw away anything. It was productive even though it is so difficult.

After I got home my new neighbor, Rosemary, called last night and asked me to come watch as they shot off fireworks in the street. So I did and I got to feel like it was 4th of July after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back