01/2010
Country
CA
State
Quebec
City
Montreal
Have any of you fractured your coccyx?

I fell out of bed last week, landing on my back. The bedside table was a little further away than usual and I misjudged the distance when I went to turn off my alarm. As my husband said... if you aren't safe in your own bed where are you safe? My disease seems to manifest itself by my body not responding defensively when I fall.

Haven't had it xrayed yet but I felt the usual crunch as I landed. Hurts to even sneeze and forget picking up something from the floor. Walking with my grandson tugging on my arm felt like my spine was being yanked down to the sidewalk. My biggest fear is falling again anytime soon as I can't imagine how much THAT would hurt! Ouch!

ND

Ouch! I've never broken my tailbone but have hit it pretty hard giving me a bruise that was not only ugly but miighty tender for a long, long time. Hot baths helped as did a heating pad and ice pack (interchanged). I hurt with you just remembering the pain. Diane

So sorry to hear that you have fallen ND. You should have it checked out by your doc to rule out something worse than a fractured coccyx. Although a fractured coccyx hurts (speaking from experience) there is nothing that can be done really. If its actually broken and displaced...I heard that they can go in through the rectom and straighten it but thats about it. Definatly use icepacks to keep swelling down.

Northern Dancer I fractured mine coming off my horse years ago. Hubby wanted to call for an ambulance, but I was in so much pain I told him I wouldn't allow anyone to touch me <g>. Crawled to the house and stayed flat in bed with extra strength Tylenol for about a week. It was awful, awful, awful. Probably it is a good idea to get an xray if it doesn't improve--I never did as I couldn't get out of bed. Sorry that this happened to you.
Laurel

Thank you, ladies, for sharing my pain! I wonder if men fracture their tailbones?

Laurel, your fall sounds much more glamorous than mine. Maybe I will tell the doctor that I fell from a horse. Admitting to falling out of bed is rather embarrassing.

I will try alternating the cold and hot packs. That surgery sounds like torture!

ND

Oh it was glamorous indeed! I forgot to tighten the girth up enough, and when going at a canter the saddle spun and the saddle and I went under the horses belly <LOL>. Duke was a good old appaloosa and he tip toed over my body without touching me with his hooves. I think telling the doctor you fell over a cantering horse does sound better than falling out of bed <g>. On another of my horse adventures, I had to go to emergency after being bucked off and flew over a fence on my neck. The emerg. doc said, "Oh I see you fell off your horse". I was very indignant and said, "I did not fall off my horse. I was bucked off and I was a projectile". In the horse world, falling is what greenies do and getting bucked is for the real cowboys.
Laurel

ND-

Well, depending on how well you know your dr, you could make the story x-rated.
You know, "we were looking to spice things up, so we put up a swing hanging from the ceiling and I fell off, bounced on the bed then "I was a projectile" to the floor! ;-) (wanted to include Laurel)

Mare,

I usually end up hitting my head on that darned swing! I will consider, however, moving the stripper pole closer to the bed.

Laurel,

I am thoroughly impressed with your horsemanship, projectile or not! I rode an ancient camel on a beach once and was stricken with terror. My hands had to be pried from the reins.

Pole Dancer,er, Northern Dancer, I mean!

See, that sounds more glamorous already! :lol:

But, ancient camel on a beach?!? :shock:

Northern/Pole :) Dancer -

I am really sorry to hear about your fall. I hope that nothing is broken though from the sounds of your posts....

Keep us posted on how things are going. Ancient camel, huh? Never heard that one before. tee hee!

Northern/Pole Dancer, don't be too impressed with my horsemanship. I would describe myself as a Calamity Jane sort of rider. I have a friend who is a real Cariboo cowgirl and she took hubby and I on a cattle drive. I was all pumped up and ready to go until she warned me to watch for bears. It was hotter than hell, the bulls were fighting, the cattle were going off in all directions, and my friend shouted to me, "Look out!" I immediately thought "bears". My little filly Molly jumped to the right and I jumped to the left as a flock of sand cranes flew up in front of us. Actually that was another ass cracker incident as I came off and landed on the only rock in the area. Hubby and friend gasped with worry, and I jumped up and said, "I'm okay, I'm okay, I'm having fun!" Big old fat lie as I was frapped. My friend always said that her horses would whinny with relief when they got to the end of the ride and saw the horse trailer waiting to take them home. Well, I wanted to whinny when I saw the horse trailer at the end of 8 hours in the saddle. I'll take the camel on the beach any old day.
Laurel

Laurel,
Whether you were having fun or not, participating in a cattle drive with bears, fighting bulls, flocks of sand cranes, you are my hero!

Had a routine mammogram today and got the doctor there to fill out an x-ray form so that I could have my tailbone x-rayed as well. My GP will get the results in a few days.

Once again, thank you all for your input, ladies.

Northern Dancer/ Lorna

I'm new but haven't been diagnosed yet. I've already broken my left hand and my nose. Two different falls.

Welcome! Good to have you!

ND...how are you doing? Is the back doing any better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back